Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > looking for a carry pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking for a carry pistol.

hello im looking to purchase a subcompact gun. im looking for insight and personal opinions on what i should narrow it down to. i have narrowed my search down to 3 guns in particular but maybe some people could help me narrow it down even more after i explain my wants in the gun.

in this subcompact gun i am looking for something that can take abuse in a sense that itll be in the waist band so sweat and heat will get to it i would imagine.

i am 6'4'' 235lbs so i wont have trouble concealing. i have a rather big hand so im looking for something that fits comfortably. the guns that fit my needs so far are the springfield XD compact, the glock subcompact with the pearce grip extension, and the s&w m&p compact with grip extension.

im sticking with 9mm for a couple reasons. 1) its all about placement and i cant place my shots quite well. 2) 9mm ammo is cheap so it allows me to go to the range more often and perfect my marksmanship with my pistols.

basically i want a gun that wont break down, rust at all, and is very reliable. i clean all my guns regularly so they will stay clean on my end, i just dont want them to wear from body sweat in carrying.

any insight would be great, thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2440 View Post
hello im looking to purchase a subcompact gun. im looking for insight and personal opinions on what i should narrow it down to. i have narrowed my search down to 3 guns in particular but maybe some people could help me narrow it down even more after i explain my wants in the gun.

in this subcompact gun i am looking for something that can take abuse in a sense that itll be in the waist band so sweat and heat will get to it i would imagine.

i am 6'4'' 235lbs so i wont have trouble concealing. i have a rather big hand so im looking for something that fits comfortably. the guns that fit my needs so far are the springfield XD compact, the glock subcompact with the pearce grip extension, and the s&w m&p compact with grip extension.

im sticking with 9mm for a couple reasons. 1) its all about placement and i cant place my shots quite well. 2) 9mm ammo is cheap so it allows me to go to the range more often and perfect my marksmanship with my pistols.

basically i want a gun that wont break down, rust at all, and is very reliable. i clean all my guns regularly so they will stay clean on my end, i just dont want them to wear from body sweat in carrying.

any insight would be great, thanks guys!
From what I understand, the XD comes highly recommended. I am a 1911 .45ACP man, but I am pretty sure they make 1911 models in 9mm. The advantage to a 1911 for conceal carry is the slimness. Also, another gun I have seen at the store that may be good for conceal carry, and is slim like the 1911 is the Smith & Wesson 5906. I am about 99% sure they are 9mm's. Check out Walthers too. I hear they are good guns. Let us know what you decide on. Peace.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-13-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #3

You're 1" taller but 30 lbs lighter than I am. So, I'll assume your hands are roughly the same size as mine. Probably why you're considering the same pistols I am. I don't like the Glock ergonomics (lack therof) so that was ruled out for me. The XD was nice but felt slightly "heavy" for it's size. My choice is the M&P it felt the best in my hand and had the higher capacity. I haven't gotten the oportunity to shoot one, but I doubt I'll be disapointed. It really comes down to what YOU like. All of your choices are solid.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
You're 1" taller but 30 lbs lighter than I am. So, I'll assume your hands are roughly the same size as mine. Probably why you're considering the same pistols I am. I don't like the Glock ergonomics (lack therof) so that was ruled out for me. The XD was nice but felt slightly "heavy" for it's size. My choice is the M&P it felt the best in my hand and had the higher capacity. I haven't gotten the oportunity to shoot one, but I doubt I'll be disapointed. It really comes down to what YOU like. All of your choices are solid.
thanks and i forgot to mention im trying to stay under 550 bucks. and i believe all these guns fall in that category as well?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #5

I would go with the S&W M&P series, I greatly enjoy mine.
I have the M&P .40c, no complaints.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #6

I'm, also, a big guy. My recommendation falls outside anything you are presently considering; however, I'm certain you will have no trouble either concealing or shooting it - A Glock Model 19.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
I'm, also, a big guy. My recommendation falls outside anything you are presently considering; however, I'm certain you will have no trouble either concealing or shooting it - A Glock Model 19.
hey you think i could conceal the glock 19? i currently own a beretta px4 storm and i feel that when i try to conceal it (not going out, but to get a feel for how this size gun would fit and be visable if i were to carry it) i find it hard to conceal such a gun that size. especially in the summer. its just quite visable. maybe because it is sort of thick? i notice that the g19 is less than an inch shorter than the px4 storm. i mean i guess i can get a feel for that gun and try it out. i never thought of the g19, i guess i was thinking real small right away (sub compact). thanks for the advice!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #8

Shooter, have you been handling many weapons at your local gun stores? Do you have a range that rents out weapons to shoot? If so, you may want to start there. Rent and fire the weapons you are looking at and some that you aren't at the top of your list or even on it. While size is one factor in selecting a concealed carry weapon, it's not the only one. comfort, ease of use, ease of control. Large hands can have a hard time with subcompact weapons. The 9mm is a good choice for the reasons you stated, but nothing helps better than actually having the weapon in hand, and being able to fire it. Holster options come later, and there are as many as you can think of.

Starting a CCW class soon or already have the permit? just asking as you said you tried your beretta, but not out.

Chris

Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I would go with the S&W M&P series, I greatly enjoy mine.
I have the M&P .40c, no complaints.
I had the opportunity to fire the M&P .40 cal last week and it is a very nice weapon, I wouldn't mind having one myself. I can only imagine the 9mm being just as good.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own a G19, and find it too large to conceal.

now, two tidbits of information to digest are:

1) I am not a big guy
2) By conceal, I mean in the safety of my house. I live in Illinois, and we have no 'rights' when it comes to guns.....well, a few more than Kalifornia I guess.

I find my Glock to be bulky on my person. But again, concealment was never my intention with it.

I might recommend you look into the 1911 platform. You can tell instantly the difference in size just by feeling it.