Looking to buy my first handgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking to buy my first handgun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Excellent advice here and in other posts. Definitely handle and shoot a lot of pistols before choosing. 9mm and 40S&W are excellent choices, I have both but carry 40S&W for SD. Definitely try the compact Glock 19/23 or the larger 17/22 if you really want something bigger.

And you do owe it to yourself to try a Hi Power like Cane said. A real classic that showed the world how to build a 9mm. It fits my hand better than any other pistol. Day in and day out I'd hate to beat one up though. Which is where Glock excels, beat the tar out of it and it still works.
Well I try to take care of my things, especially guns. Since i live in Illinois where gun laws are strict, I won't be caring it around, and it will see most of its use at the range.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Now I'm just throwing this out there......Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock. OK I'm done. You can't find a more dependable handgun for the money. Good for the range...I carry a 17 daily and take it to the range once a week (at least) It will fire every time! And for $500 (Gen 3) and $549 (Gen 4) you can have $ left over for other things! Extra mags, extended mag release, AMMO. I could go on....but like everyone else has said man...go shoot some of your friends guns... people can reccomend all they want but, it comes down to YOU. I think I picked up and felt about 50 different handguns before I bought by my Glock. I think you'll equally as impressed with them as I was. Good luck!

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #23

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Typos at the end....I swear I'm not ignorant

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
Note: I don't want any compact guns, i have big hands and just can't stand holding small guns. I mainly plan on using this for some shooting at a range, maybe competitions, and home defense.
My favorites for this type of gun would be Browning Hi-Power, CZ 75, and Sig P226. You can get the CZ under budget brand new, and you'll probably be very happy. I don't think a better (brand new) gun exists for your needs and within your budget. The BHP or Sig are equally impressive but may require browsing the used market.

I don't like Beretta's because they just seem bigger than necessary with lots of switches and edges to hang up on things. But since this isn't a carry gun and you have big hands...it might be a great fit for you. It's a solid choice if you like the feel of it.

Last edited by sweeper22; 07-27-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #25

I was kinda in the same place as you...XD or M&P? The guy at the shop told me to rent both at the same time and I'd know which i wanted in less than 10 shots from each. After about 8 shots I knew i was buying the M&P. Narrow it down and then try em out.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #26

I enjoy my Springfiled Armory Mil-spec. although that is .45 - in 9mm - i like my Ruger P95. In .40 I like my Taurus PT100AR. Just because I like them doesn't mean they are the best out there, however. P95 was about $350 - PT100 was ~$300 - Mil-spec was ~$550

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

JoT,
If you look at the Sig P229, be sure to check out the P226. If you have big hands, it may fit better, I know it does me. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #28

Doesn't even matter what your first one is. You're gonna get another...and another...wash, rinse, repeat.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Shameless bump of the only thread started by the winner of the forum 10/22.

Looks like a good person to win a nice rifle.

Everyone should have a 10/22 right?

OP: Did you ever decide on a handgun for your first?

Congratulations!

Hurry up - 24 hours...tick tock.

Be Well.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
Shameless bump of the only thread started by the winner of the forum 10/22.

Looks like a good person to win a nice rifle.

Everyone should have a 10/22 right?

OP: Did you ever decide on a handgun for your first?

Congratulations!

Hurry up - 24 hours...tick tock.
Haha thanks. Well I've already sent notdku my information. Just waiting for him to contact me back.

I have narrowed my choices down to a Sig P226 or a Beretta 90-two. I haven't had time to try them out yet. But i went into one of the gun stores near me and held a bunch of guns and those two were the ones that felt great in my hands.

Closed Thread