Looking to buy my first handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking to buy my first handgun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_tap View Post
Im a glock man myself....
I can tell by your Avatar LOL.

Just joking, sorry can't resist.

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Last edited by Poink88; 07-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recommend you go to some local gunshops and get a feel for the various firearms that are out there and see which feels the best to you, and if there are some gun ranges that have rental programs I would try out some firearms too.

Some of the firearms I would recommend are; The Glock 19, Glock 23, Ruger SR9, Ruger SR40, Springfield XDm's, Springfield 1911's (if you can manage the recoil), Ruger GP100 .357 magnum, or Smith and Wesson .357 magnum.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I recommend you go to some local gunshops and get a feel for the various firearms that are out there and see which feels the best to you, and if there are some gun ranges that have rental programs I would try out some firearms too.

Some of the firearms I would recommend are; The Glock 19, Glock 23, Ruger SR9, Ruger SR40, Springfield XDm's, Springfield 1911's (if you can manage the recoil), Ruger GP100 .357 magnum, or Smith and Wesson .357 magnum.
We have a ruger gp 100 in our house, its not mine, but i love it when i shoot it. But im looking for a semi-auto handgun. From what most people are saying i should look at some of the springfield XDm's

Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
We have a ruger gp 100 in our house, its not mine, but i love it when i shoot it. But im looking for a semi-auto handgun. From what most people are saying i should look at some of the springfield XDm's
I own an XDm and it is an excellent pistol...but not my favorite/best.

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #15

Default Bersa

I have a bersa thunder 9 17+1. Its very accurate, simple to clean, built to last forever and +p rated. I bought mine new for $450 and I've fired 1200 rds though it (500 +p) and its never missed a beat. For $700 you could even get a duo tone 9 or 40 bersa. it was my first handgun and it's still my favorite.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #16

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Do yourself a favor before you decide on a purchase and find someone willing to share their Browning Hi-Power. You will discover why it is called the "King of Nines".

With 15+1 capability and a John M. Browning design you will be hard-pressed to find a current design that comes close!

Shoot one, you'll thank this old man!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what I hear the XDm's are excellent firearms. I would look at all the available options at some of your local gunshops. What are some of the features your looking for in a pistol?

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well right now it I'll look at Sig p229, beretta fs 92, springfield XDm, or a browning hi-power. But its going to take a day or two for me to get the time to get to the nears gun store to take a look at these. If anyone has more suggestions feel free to add. I am still no where close to makign up my mind.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Take a look at the CZ75b's too.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
If you have any friends with guns ask them if you can go along and shoot one or two. You will have many suggestions as to what to buy.

Remember the gun has to fit your hand first like a comfortable shoe to your foot.

Next will be from a reliability stand point. Here on this forum is where you'll get educated.

Caliber for fun and SD would be a nice 9mm in my world. The 40 would be nice but to much recoil for a follow up shot for a newbie.

Glock. As much as I hated it when it first came out, I still prefer a simple easy gun that goes Bang when the trigger is pulled.

It has very low maintenance and maybe one of these days I'll clean my CCW 10mm Glock.
Excellent advice here and in other posts. Definitely handle and shoot a lot of pistols before choosing. 9mm and 40S&W are excellent choices, I have both but carry 40S&W for SD. Definitely try the compact Glock 19/23 or the larger 17/22 if you really want something bigger.

And you do owe it to yourself to try a Hi Power like Cane said. A real classic that showed the world how to build a 9mm. It fits my hand better than any other pistol. Day in and day out I'd hate to beat one up though. Which is where Glock excels, beat the tar out of it and it still works.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Closed Thread