Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking to buy my first handgun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Looking to buy my first handgun

Well I'm new to the forums, so this is my first thread post. As the title suggests, I am looking to by my first gun, and I've been looking at handguns.I'm looking to get either 9mm or a .40 cal. I've been looking at a Beretta fs 92 or a sig p229. The maximum I would like to spend is $700. I just want to get some more opinions about other guns. I want to see what else is out there before I make a decision. You guys can suggest any gun, the above are the ones I've just been primarily looking at. Just explain why and what you like about it.

Note: I don't want any compact guns, i have big hands and just can't stand holding small guns. I mainly plan on using this for some shooting at a range, maybe competitions, and home defense.

Last edited by JackofTrades; 07-26-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it mostly for self-defense carry?... range?... home defense?... car?... plinking?...

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Is it mostly for self-defense carry?... range?... home defense?... car?... plinking?...
Sorry I don't know if you saw my edit, when i made it but i specified what i plan on using it for.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Being a little biased, I would suggest looking at Springfield Armory 1911's and other 1911's in your price range.
Look for good sights that are easy to see.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
Well I'm new to the forums, so this is my first thread post. As the title suggests, I am looking to by my first gun, and I've been looking at handguns.I'm looking to get either 9mm or a .40 cal. I've been looking at a Beretta fs 92 or a sig p229. The maximum I would like to spend is $700. I just want to get some more opinions about other guns. I want to see what else is out there before I make a decision. You guys can suggest any gun, the above are the ones I've just been primarily looking at. Just explain why and what you like about it.

Note: I don't want any compact guns, i have big hands and just can't stand holding small guns. I mainly plan on using this for some shooting at a range, maybe competitions, and home defense.
Glock & Springfield Armory XDm would do what you want and meet your budgetary guidelines.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

I don't care for the Beretta's. They don't feel as bad as Glocks do, but they're close. But that is simply a matter of personal preference.

I love my Springfield Xdm 40. Very comfortable in my hand, good safeties, very crisp trigger. It is just an excellent shooting gun, and is the gun I shoot best out of my collection.

Although I don't own one, you might also want to check out the Ruger SR40 or SR40c. Lots packed into that gun for the price.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Default You could check out one of these

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/images/Spartan_Main.jpg

This has most everything a shooter needs out of the box for less than $800 delivered to your FFL.

Great gun for someone that does not want to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a 1911.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My current favorite is a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (all steel 9mm or .40 cal). Check it out!

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #9

Im a glock man myself you can beat on them and they still function with out flaw "not that I would suggest doing that" but seriously they are an all around good weapon

Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have any friends with guns ask them if you can go along and shoot one or two. You will have many suggestions as to what to buy.

Remember the gun has to fit your hand first like a comfortable shoe to your foot.

Next will be from a reliability stand point. Here on this forum is where you'll get educated.

Caliber for fun and SD would be a nice 9mm in my world. The 40 would be nice but to much recoil for a follow up shot for a newbie.

Glock. As much as I hated it when it first came out, I still prefer a simple easy gun that goes Bang when the trigger is pulled.

It has very low maintenance and maybe one of these days I'll clean my CCW 10mm Glock.

Last edited by JohnJak; 07-26-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Closed Thread