Looking to buy a berretta - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking to buy a berretta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Berettas are da bomb - I have owned a lot of different handgun platforms over the years. Beretta 92s are my favorite platform now. I even sold off my two high end 1911s last year, as I usually only shoot my Berettas...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #12

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Okay shipwreck, I've got some range time on a M9. Give me a rundown, what exactly are the differences between the 92A1, and the new M9's? I guess that would be the M9A1.

I see the trigger guard differences, but that's it.

Last edited by trip286; 01-31-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I am a dyed in the wool 1911 man, but during the ammo famine I bought a 92SF (9mm) and I have got to tell you, for a range gun it is hard to beat. They are a pleasure to shoot.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Okay shipwreck, I've got some range time on a M9. Give me a rundown, what exactly are the differences between the 92A1, and the new M9's? I guess that would be the M9A1.

I see the trigger guard differences, but that's it.

Here is text I typed a few months ago on a thread in the Beretta section of Glocktalk:

Quote:
M9A1 - Railed frame with a 92FS slide (3 dot sights). The front of the frame (where the rail is at) looks like the Vertec model. But it has the standard 92FS grip. The magwell also has a slight bevel, and the rear and front backstraps have a light checkering on them. Available in 9mm only, and this gun is only made in the USA.

This gun comes with two specially PVD coated 15 round magazines (which are expensive when bought separately).

I think the M9A1 is the coolest LOOKING railed model. But, the checkering is not deep on the frame, like it is on a 1911. I personally prefer the regular serrations, as I find that they give a better grip purchase.

90-Two - Commonly known as the "90-Dash-Two" or "The Dash." This is a redesigned version of the 92FS that came out in 2006. The slide and frame were redesigned. The guiderod is captured, and there is a recoil buffer built into the frame. It also has a front, dovetailed sight. Several of the small parts are totally different from the standard 92 design (hammer, mag release, trigger bar, slide safety switches).

The biggest difference is the grip. While the gun is not polymer, it does come with a polymer, slip on grip. This gun will be in limited production for 2011 (so get one now if you want one). There is hardly any aftermarket support, and the lack of aftermarket grips is really hurting sales. These are ONLY made in Italy. Available in 9mm and 40 cal. The gun comes with factory 17 round mags (in 9mm)

(I personally do not like the polymer grip - too slippery. I tried several solutions to this issue, but found none worthwhile)

92A1 - Newest release of the 92 - Released in the summer of 2010. This design takes some of the best aspects of the 90-Two... The rail, internal recoil buffer and dovetailed front sight (all great changes), and puts it into a more "normal" 92 frame. The 92A1 (and 96A1) will use standard Beretta 92 grips. The trigger guard is curved; however, like that of the 90-Two. The guiderod is also captured (which is a pro or con, depending on who you ask).

In addition - the slide is a little bit beefier than a standard 92 slide.

The gun is available in 9mm and 40 cal (the 96A1), and the 9mm version comes with THREE 17 round factory mags (the same mags that come with the 90-Two). These guns are only made in Italy.

This is a such better choice to the 90-TWO, IMHO. Also, the 92A1 balances the best in a 1 handed grip out of any of the railed models. I also personally find the 92A1 is my second fav Beretta 92 variant - right behind the standard 92FS (which balances the best 1 handed, IMHO).

There is also finally aftermarket night sights for the 92A1 from Trijicon now. And, while others may disagree - I personally like the regular front and rear strap serrations over the checkering on the M9A1. The checkering is rather shallow - so its not nearly as grippy as checkering on a 1911. I think the standard serrations on the front and back strap give a better grip.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I am a dyed in the wool 1911 man, but during the ammo famine I bought a 92SF (9mm) and I have got to tell you, for a range gun it is hard to beat. They are a pleasure to shoot.

U da man!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #16

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hmmm... now my wheels are turning again...

Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #17

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Berettas are da bomb - I have owned a lot of different handgun platforms over the years. Beretta 92s are my favorite platform now. I even sold off my two high end 1911s last year, as I usually only shoot my Berettas...

Total newbie here...bought a Glock G27...just rented a Beratta PX4 Storm at the range and fell in love with it...much more comfortable in my hand. I'm going to look at a more full size Beretta for home and range shooting.

So you're a Jagr fan! My wife and I love his hockey game, followed him heavily when he was in Pittsburgh...even had a personal license plate that said Go Jagr.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The 92FS is a great choice.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
So you're a Jagr fan! My wife and I love his hockey game, followed him heavily when he was in Pittsburgh...even had a personal license plate that said Go Jagr.
Cool. I have the NHL tv package, and I catch EVERY Flyers game and EVERY Canucks game. I have several Flyers jerseys (a couple Jagr ones too), and have Flyers stuff on my walls at my office at home and at work.

I'm going to the Flyers carnival later this month to meet some of them and get some autographs. I have a ticket to get a photo with Jagr. Should be cool.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

To answer a couple points, the 92 is primarily 9mm, the 96, .40. Also, the main difference between the M9 and M9A1 is the presence of an accessory rail. Both versions mimic the military specs from the US Armed Forces.

I have a Model 96D Brigadier myself, a trade in from the Pennsylvania State Police when they went to Glocks in the 45GAP calibre, right down to the laser etched PSP logo on the gun. I lucked into one as I have a relationship with the LE supplier that handled the deal for them in this side of the Commonwealth. For a larger, heavier firearm, the 92 Series shoots beautifully and recovers from recoil nicely. It's well balanced also. The Brigadier has the heavier slide and is primarily designed for high volumes of ammo, to stand up better over use and time. The only drawback to the Brigadier that I've found is that you get restricted to specialty fit holsters as they don't really fit the ones made for the standard 92 well, if at all.

Bottom line is that if you are looking for a full size semi, you cannot go wrong with a 92 Series in either calibre. There's a lot of very good used ones out there at reasonable prices. The new ones get a bit pricey, IMHO from a seller.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 02-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.