Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Looking for Advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/looking-advice-12012/)

Hammer090 03-19-2009 03:01 PM

Looking for Advice

Hey All,

I've always wanted to own a gun and this year I've decided to devote time to it.

For my primary home defense weapon, I'm looking at either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. I would also like to add a handgun for occasional conceal carry, backup home defense, and tactical handgun training.

I'm looking for advice on the handgun I should purchase. Here are some of my criteria.

1. Tough and Reliable - I'm also pretty hard on my tools. My personality dictates that I won't be that great with cleaning the weapon. The weapon should be able to take a beating and keep on ticking.

2. Safety - when I do carry it concealed, I want to have the piece of mind that the weapon won't accidently discharge.

3. Conceal and comfort - I won't carry that much, but when I do, I don't want it noticable.

4. Usable - I should be able to easily draw and use the weapon (for the tactical training classes I plan on taking).

5. Looks good with some brand appeal (the hand gun purchase is as much hobby as anything else)

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

SGT-MILLER 03-19-2009 04:52 PM

That's easy.

A 1911 of the Kimber or Springfield variety. Your choice on the specific model, though.

Next question!!!

:D

Retiredfireguy 03-19-2009 09:46 PM

From reading your inquiry, I wouldn't go with a semi-auto. I'd look into a Smith & Wesson 642 revolver. Dependable, durable, light, easy to carry, well-known brand, doesn't require much cleaning. I've had a number of carry guns, and this is the one I prefer. It's great in a pocket holster. Only five shots, but how many does a guy need?
Oops...Almost forgot to add, it's "hammerless" so it doesn't tend to snag on clothing. And the double-action trigger takes enough pressure that you're not likely to have an accidental discharge. And you can get it with CT laser grips, or add them later if you want. I added them to mine, and love it!

Dillinger 03-19-2009 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hammer - Usually I would be right there with Sgt-Miller on the 1911, but your willingness to admit to being tough on tools and your unwillingness to maintain the weapon gives me pause.

I would highly recommend that you look into the Springfield XD with the new generation frame mounted external safety, much like the 1911.

This model features both the new grip safety and the external slide mounted safety - it is quite usable, quite safe and it's probably closer to your level of maintanence / usage requirements...

Hammer090 03-20-2009 03:41 AM

Thanks Guys.

I went and shot some Sigs and Glocks today. I really liked the Sigs, but I leaning toward a Glock 19 (The Glock 19 seem to fit most of what I'm looking for (but the Sigs sure felt nice in my hand).

The Glock 19 was the only Glock I liked (while I liked every Sig (P229, P226, P220 in all the caliburs).

Uncle Tom 03-20-2009 03:45 AM

SW M&P 9mm

I would at least pick up a Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm to compare it to Glock -- they seem to have some sales momentum for this American made product. there is a full-size and a compact available.

Bighead 03-20-2009 04:56 AM

My recommendation would be the Glock 19, except you initially said you wanted a safety.

If you still want to consider guns with manual safety levers, then JD's suggestion of the XD with the optional safety is a very good recommendation. You might also consider the Smith & Wesson M&P9C with optional manual safety.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...6304_large.jpg

ladyM 03-20-2009 05:06 AM

+1 for both the S&W revolver AND the Glock 19...............................
I'm no pro but both of these firearms are of TOP quality and extremely reliable---I doubt that anyone will dispute those words(I hope ! )
If it feels good .....DO IT !
.........................BTW---either of these guns will be light enough to carry
summer or winter,easy to hide and will not be so heavy as to pull your pants down ! A heavy firearm for concealed carry is not much good because it will usually be found lying in a dresser drawer.

aoakley1 03-20-2009 05:08 AM

I would not discount the 1911 based upon your criteria. All of my 1911 and 2011 pistols are capable of going at least 2-3000 rounds between cleanings without malfunction.

I have not yet put my new M&P through the ringer but will let you know how many rounds it takes to make it puke once I do.

WDB 03-21-2009 03:08 AM

Based on your desire to own a pistol you can treat poorly I would suggest you stay with a shotgun. If the pistol is to be used for personal defense you should take the time and maintain it so it serves you well when you need it. If you can't do this then I suggest a S&W J frame snub nose as they will meet your simple attitude. If your serious about tactical handgun training your going to have to change your attitude concerning gun care. If your up to it it check out the S&W M&P's one of the best available and has that "brand appeal" you mentioned. All the same you might be Glock guy, better suited for that gun, I see a LOT of those guys at the range doing the combat/tac training.