Looking for a 9mm - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for a 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Looking for a dependable hand gun

Since you are new to handguns take you time and research what you are wanting and what you are wanting to do with it. Talk to people who have years of experience or who are in law enforcement, Military, Ex-military, and even people who have owned them and shot them for years. Do not buy the first one that comes along because it is a good deal or out of desperation. You can get good advice from the members in here. Take your time to practice with one and learn how to break it down and perform a function check without hesitation. Learn how to load and unload it in the dark. I could give you all kinds of advice and fill up this page. Remember you get what you buy. When you find the right one you will know it. It will have a special feel to it and it will just seem like it is a part of you. Other people in here know what I am talking about. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you rethink the manual safety aspect, I'd suggest a LC9 for $300 and you have $200 left over to apply towards a nice 12 gage Shotgun (eg Rem 870/Mossy with18 inch barrel) with a manual safety. Double fun for $100 more and way more option to protect the castle.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #23

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've never really considered a manual safety something I'd want in a hd handgun. I keep my M&P close by with an empty chamber. You might say "what good is that?" My answer is that it's how I have trained myself to use it. The barrel stays clear at all times and when I am ready to fire, I rack the slide, aim and shoot. I suppose its pretty much the same as having a round in the chamber and using a manual safety in the end. It's all about your training and muscle memory.

If there are kids in the house I'd keep whatever gun you buy in a lock-box and get a pair of German Shepherds.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1
I've never really considered a manual safety something I'd want in a hd handgun. I keep my M&P close by with an empty chamber. You might say "what good is that?" My answer is that it's how I have trained myself to use it. The barrel stays clear at all times and when I am ready to fire, I rack the slide, aim and shoot. I suppose its pretty much the same as having a round in the chamber and using a manual safety in the end. It's all about your training and muscle memory.

If there are kids in the house I'd keep whatever gun you buy in a lock-box and get a pair of German Shepherds.
So when the maniac takes a butchers knife and hacks off your left arm who racks the slide for you when you need to put them down?

Not trying to be a smart ass but you won't have time to rack the slide and or defend yourself from certain death.

Last edited by CipsterX; 04-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #25

Liked 242 Times on 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CipsterX

So when the maniac takes a butchers knife and hacks off your left arm who racks the slide for you when you need to put them down?

Not trying to be a smart ass but you won't have time to rack the slide and or defend yourself from certain death.
That goes back to what I've said in other threads, if you want to make absolutely sure got to be a revolver. No ftf, no jams, no slides to rack

Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #26

Liked 399 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1916 View Post
Hi guys I am new to the forum I am looking for a 9mm pistol that is reliable, accurate, and good for home defense. I am still relatively new to firearms but have experience shooting .22s I have seen a couple pistols I liked but I am not a fan of the decocker safety. I realize no safety can be perfect but I would feel much more comfortable with a manual safety. I am thinking I have a budget of no more then $500 any thoughts or am I asking for to much ? Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
As you've discovered, asking which is the best gun is like asking which is the best car/truck. I'm not endorsing any particular brand. I know what I like, but that's me. Go shopping and see which one feels the best. If a range in your area has rentals, try the ones that feel the best, see how they shoot, more importantly how well you do.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Try the m&p u can get them with or without safety's

Old 04-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #28

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CipsterX View Post
That’s why a good service pistol has square fixed rear sight......I can rack my CZ on a flat wall using the rear sight and friction.

OP, you do yourself a disservice if you don’t at least pick up a CZ 75 or CZ 75 variant or clone.......but be warned, once you do you will want it so bring your money......and yes they shoot as good as they feel. Most CZ 75’s can be had for less than 500 new, finding them is the hard part and don’t bother looking for used ones because people just don’t sell them much.

Last edited by oli700; 04-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My father has a CZ 75 great gun reminds me of the berreta 92

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #30

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

George Zimmerman’s Gun: A Popular Choice for Concealed Carry
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/28/george-zimmermans-gun-a-popular-choice-for-concealed-carry/#ixzz1tYtA8kiJ

kel-tec_pf-9.jpg