Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for a 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking for a 9mm

Hi guys I am new to the forum I am looking for a 9mm pistol that is reliable, accurate, and good for home defense. I am still relatively new to firearms but have experience shooting .22s I have seen a couple pistols I liked but I am not a fan of the decocker safety. I realize no safety can be perfect but I would feel much more comfortable with a manual safety. I am thinking I have a budget of no more then $500 any thoughts or am I asking for to much ? Any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #2

Liked 16794 Times on 9735 Posts
Likes Given: 43825

my suggestion would be to start going to gun stores and start by looking and holding different ones until you find one that fits your hand well. this will be the biggest factor as how well the pistol fits your hand will play a big part in how well you shoot accurately with it. next step, if you find one that exceeds your budget, then look around for one like it used if possible. another option would be to see if the store has a layaway plan, many do now, because they know money is tight. then when you find one and buy it, buy a bunch of ammo and practice, practice and practice some more. buy any decent JHP SD ammo and you should be good to go.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Rock Island 1911. 9mm. $400 leaves you $100 for ammo. Accurate, reliable and to me the1911 is the most recognizable intimidating there is.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Liked 1002 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Glock 17 or 19, Springfield XD or XDm. Reliable handguns that don't require a home equity loan.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Glock 17 or 19, Springfield XD or XDm. Reliable handguns that don't require a home equity loan.
None have a manual safety-
--------------------------
Might look at a Ruger SR9 or Sr9c & listen to what axxe said

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the RIA 1911 9mm, but the Bersa Thunder Pro 9 HC is a good shooter, reliable, aluminum alloy, strips/cleans easily and isn't expensive. Bersa doesn't advertise much in the US but has a big portion of the police and military market in South America. Mine has been very reliable and is my backup home defense gun.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1916 View Post
Hi guys I am new to the forum I am looking for a 9mm pistol that is reliable, accurate, and good for home defense. I am still relatively new to firearms but have experience shooting .22s I have seen a couple pistols I liked but I am not a fan of the decocker safety. I realize no safety can be perfect but I would feel much more comfortable with a manual safety. I am thinking I have a budget of no more then $500 any thoughts or am I asking for to much ? Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
Try a CZ 75b.

For $500 it'll meet all of your criteria and then some. And I don't think anything else can even compare (based on your prefernces) for $500.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1916 View Post
I don't like decocker's either. This is one of my home protection guns, very reliable. It is a 9mm Beretta model 920. It doesn't have an exposed hammer nor does it have a safety, but a crisp trigger makes it safe to carry or store.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #9

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Any chance you would later want to carry concealed? Many fine pistols have been mentioned but can be large for CCW. I'm a fan of the 1911, Hi Power and CZ 75b but they are large and heavy so compare with polymer guns. I still have my 1911s and HPs but carry a smaller gun, the Glock 27 40S&W.

If you can get passed the manual safety the 9mm Glock 19 is great or the G26 for CCW. Nice thing about a small gun like the G26, it can easily become bigger and easier to hold with larger capacity magazines and magazine sleeves.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #10

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 532

how has no one mentioned the SR9 and SR9C. both great pistols, under 500. manuel safeties.. also i would recomend Springfield xd and xdm.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 04-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.