Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking at 45 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at 45 acp

Thanks for all your imput about the question I had about the safety on the M&P. I love the M&Ps. I have a question, what is another good 45 acp that I should be looking at. What is your imput on the top 5 45 acps. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Polymer or steel framed? Full size or compact? Price range? Used for..??

Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I like my full-sized, largely polymer XD45 for plinking fun & home defense. I don't carry, so i can't evaluate its comfort/fit from experience, but it seems a bit large for some people to conceal well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1.) 1911
2.) 1911
3.) 1911
4.) 1911
5.) 1911

Take your pick of brand from the price range that your budget fits into.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, mate, my first choice would be a 1911. You've got loads of different models to choose from. My favourites are ParaOrdnance double stacks and simple, no frills, Colts (basically, give me a 1911A1 with better sights and I'll be a happy camper). What I love about Paras is that they fit my large hands very well, and you get twice the magazine capacity of traditional 1911s. Do you need 15 rounds of .45? Probably not, but it can't hurt. They are fantastic house guns, a bit big for concealed carry (that's where slim, single stack 1911 shine).

The design is as time proven as it gets, there are lots of parts to customize it or replace anything that breaks. Once you get used to a nice 1911 trigger, everything else seems crude. My Para P14-45 is far from being a race gun, I haven't changed anything on it yet, and I still feel more comfortable with it for long range shooting than with my S&W M&P.

Another platform I would consider is the Sig 220. I tried one out and loved it, it was quick to point, really accurate and comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was the double action trigger pull, if the SAO (single action only) model were available in my country, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

There's also the CZ97, like all CZs it's very well made, tough and accurate. I love its looks and how it shoots. It's big and heavy, though.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Your best bet is to go to a gun show or multiple gun shops and pick up and feel as many as you can and see what is comfortable to you.
I would say

m&p 45
xd 45
h&k 45
glock 45

Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

They should call this place 1911firearmstalkforums, lol

Try any 1911, yes....also try

XD's
FN's
HK's
Sig's
CZ's
etc....

Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

You can always get a Hi-Point.

Now to be somewhat serious take a look at the Ruger P345. Even with the overload of safety features.
You can do like me and get a 1911 and another .45 just for S***'s and Grins.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1911s are a dream to shoot, especially if you're used to a double action or a DA/SA. They have zero trigger creep or take up and a good trigger will have zero over travel.

Holding them right does take some practice, though, as they can be finicky when limp wristed. Proper hold also makes them much more accurate, as it helps the action to function properly.

After firing many DA/SA and DAO pistols and numerous 1911s, I'll never own anything except a 1911 and urge everyone in the market for a pistol to at least try several before buying a piece.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, 1911's are awesome, this forum should get royalties for promoting them,lol.