Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for a .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Default Looking for a .45

In the coming weeks, I plan on purchasing a .45 Handgun. I have it narrowed down to three choices. Would like some input pro/con of each.

• Springfield Armory 1911(more than likely GI, possible Mil-Spec)
  • FN- FNP45
  • IWI Jericho .45

Look foward to what you have to say.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned 2 of 3 on your list. My son has an FNP 9 that I've shot quite a bit so I have experience with all of them. Quite a mix on your list two steel (if the Baby Eagle is the all steel) and one poly.

What's it for?

The Baby Eagle is a big heavy gun, thicker than the 1911 and the FNP. The FNP will be the lightest and the 1911 the slimmest.

I'd seriously advise the Mil-Spec over the base GI for the 1911. The sights are much better and the ejection port is flared & lowered so your brass isn't dented - and it doesn't hit you in the face. Anyway, if you tell us more we can give better advice...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Just want a .45 for Home Protection and to shoot and have fun at range.
Currently switch between a Glock 27 and a S&W .357sig for a personal Carry weapon.
So it would not be for Carry purposes.
I do like the look of the Springfield and I am leaning more that way. The FNP and the Jericho hold more rounds. But I only need one Bullet.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think NGIB hit the nail on the head. My first 1911 was a Springfield MilSpec. I bought it for the reasons he stated.

Buy the Springer. There is no other pistol like a 1911.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Well, if a .45 range gun is what you're looking for than I'll recommend the Springer Mil-spec. It's a solid basic 1911 and gives you the opportunity to try out the platform without breaking the bank. Resale value is much better for quality 1911s than the other 2 guns you mention so if you decide .45 isn't for you - you won't lose money on the Springer. I really do recommend the Mil-spec over the GI as the small difference in price is made up in much better shootability.

I just picked up this parked Mil-spec 2 weeks ago, barely shot, for $500. I installed a better trigger yesterday (and a MSH with lanyard loop for looks) but other than that it's bone stock and will stay that way...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Just want a .45 for Home Protection and to shoot and have fun at range.
Currently switch between a Glock 27 and a S&W .357sig for a personal Carry weapon.
So it would not be for Carry purposes.
I do like the look of the Springfield and I am leaning more that way. The FNP and the Jericho hold more rounds. But I only need one Bullet.
So, your Glock and .357 sig are good for personal protection, but not for home protection? Same for the range?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have really enjoyed my trouble-free Springfield XD45. I wasn't looking for anything pretty to show off, nor was i looking for anything that allowed for many refinements/customizations of its internal workings, i was just looking for a high capacity .45 that would go "bang" every time i needed it to, and it has done that very well. The grip is very comfortable, angle-wise.

I hope .45 ammo is easier to find where you are; that has been my only complaint.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
So, your Glock and .357 sig are good for personal protection, but not for home protection? Same for the range?
I just want a .45 is there a limit to how many you should have a what purpose they are for?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have an FNP 40 and it is a good pistol but recoil is more than it should be. I also have a S&W M&P 45 that I truly like. It isn't on your list but one you should try, add a light/laser combo and it's a prefect HD firearm. The three on your list I would pick the Springfield mil spec.

Pic, the FNP 40 is on top the S&W M&P 45 on the bottom

m-p-fnp-003.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.