Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Looking for a 22LR Pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/looking-22lr-pistol-25937/)

panic 04-12-2010 12:05 AM

Looking for a 22LR Pistol

Hey, Everyone!

I'm looking for a 22LR pistol and like (1) the Buckmark Contour and (2) the Walther P22.

I am already a Browning fan from shotgunning and have never heard anything bad about their products.

However, I'm also a Walther fan from an old PPK I had. Unfortunately, I've heard rumblings of folks having issues with Walther P22's. I thought Walther had gone away at one point... Were they bought out by another manufacturer?

I really like the look and feel of the P22, but don't want to buy any hassles. Any insight, experience, or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Or if you think I should choose another weapon all together, I'm open minded!

Thx!

Paul

CA357 04-12-2010 12:20 AM

Smith & Wesson owns Walther. From what I know of them, both are good pistols. The Browning is larger and heavier, so it somewhat depends on that as a factor. Good luck, the research is almost as much fun as the shooting. :cool:

willfully armed 04-12-2010 12:26 AM

I have the Sig Mosquito. I also just got my suppressor for it and have been letting all of my buddies shoot it.

Ive heard this alot- "Man, this is so much nicer than my Walther"

I dont know many people who like thier Walther 22.

FlBob518 05-23-2010 05:15 PM

I have a Browning Buckmark and love it as a target pistol. Over 5000 rounds through it and not one jam. Wish I could say the same for my TCP .380!

Shihan 05-23-2010 06:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't look past Ruger. The Mark III or a Mark II if you can find a nice used one. Also the 22/45 is a good one if you like the Polymer Frames, might like the Charger too. I am partial to the Rugers. Look for yourself and see what you like.

druryj 05-23-2010 09:54 PM

the Buckmark is heavier and more accurate but the P22 is a great plinker and a good "training" pistol. (It also has the "cool factor" going for it). lf you get a P22, run high velocity ammo in it, like CCI Mini Mags and keep it clean and you'll have good results. Mine has about 10,000 rounds through it now and just keeps on plinkin'.

Mr. Bluesky 05-23-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druryj (Post 289278)
the Buckmark is heavier and more accurate but the P22 is a great plinker and a good "training" pistol. (It also has the "cool factor" going for it). lf you get a P22, run high velocity ammo in it, like CCI Mini Mags and keep it clean and you'll have good results. Mine has about 10,000 rounds through it now and just keeps on plinkin'.

Mini-mag is too expensive, kinda defeats the point of shooting a .22. I run Federal Champion in mine for about half the price.

I shot a friend's P22 when I was looking for my .22, and hated it. Jammed more than any other gun I've seen. +1 for the Buckmark and the Ruger Mk III.

DrumJunkie 05-23-2010 11:10 PM

The Buckmark or the Ruger MK I, II, III are the only semi auto 22's I I'll have. Revolvers I lean to the S&W's...Or maybe one of th eold High Standards..I just love those things.

big shrek 05-25-2010 08:33 AM

The big headache with the Ruger pistols is the breakdown for cleaning....you will find thousands of posts all over the 'Net about folks who got stuck/ran into problems.

High Standard currently makes some very easy-to-deal with pistols...and is THE ONLY AMERICAN PISTOL MFR to win a Gold in the Olympics .22 pistol competition.

Here's my 1940 HS Model "B", tons of other models available at reasonable prices.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/7...e/gedc0037.jpg

cpttango30 05-25-2010 10:38 AM

Rugers are not that hard to take down and put back together it just takes a little practice. Last time I looked Hi-Standard was not making pistols anymore either.