Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   looking at a .22 pocket pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/looking-22-pocket-pistol-70464/)

boddah4 08-16-2012 12:43 PM

looking at a .22 pocket pistol

I am looking to get a .22 pocket pistol for plinking purposes. I am want a semiautomatic over a designer. I know it is NOT a self-defense round so let's not get into that debate/lecture.

The ones that I am looking at are: Jimenez J22, Taurus PT22, Phoenix HP22, and Beretta Bobcat. I may also look into used guns for a Jennings J22 or Iver-Johnson TP22.

Are there any that I am missing? Does anyone have opinions on these choices?

danf_fl 08-16-2012 12:54 PM

Jennings or Jimenez can be scratched off of your list.

Although inexpensive, they are also CHEAPly made and probably would not stand up to the use you are wanting it for.

Of your list, the order to look at is Beretta, Taurus, Phoenix.

Rick1967 08-16-2012 01:02 PM

The only gun that you listed that I would consider is the Beretta. I already own a Jennings J-22. If you really want a jam-o-matic buy one. It would serve that purpose well. People buy them thinking that they are cheap. But you can not run a magazine of the cheap ammo through them. Seriously, you will get at least one jam per mag. It will run CCI Mini Mags fairly well. But I am thinking they run about $6 for 50 rounds. When you could buy 550 rounds of the cheap stuff less than $20. After you spend about $100 on ammo you will be pissed that you bought Jennings. And by the way, Jimenez is the same gun. They just changed names because of a lawsuit.

mountainman13 08-16-2012 01:24 PM

You might want to look into the ruger Sr22. It's supposed to be pretty good.

mountainman13 08-16-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967
The only gun that you listed that I would consider is the Beretta. I already own a Jennings J-22. If you really want a jam-o-matic buy one. It would serve that purpose well. People buy them thinking that they are cheap. But you can not run a magazine of the cheap ammo through them. Seriously, you will get at least one jam per mag. It will run CCI Mini Mags fairly well. But I am thinking they run about $6 for 50 rounds. When you could buy 550 rounds of the cheap stuff less than $20. After you spend about $100 on ammo you will be pissed that you bought Jennings. And by the way, Jimenez is the same gun. They just changed names because of a lawsuit.

I'm thinking they have another lawsuit coming since one of their guns went kaboom right out of the box about a day ago. Buy their guns if you're looking for an inexpensive grenade.

bearrwe 08-16-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13

I'm thinking they have another lawsuit coming since one of their guns went kaboom right out of the box about a day ago. Buy their guns if you're looking for an inexpensive grenade.

That's a he'll of a grenade, pull the pin and boom... I kinda like the opportunity to throw it before it explodes!

mountainman13 08-16-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearrwe

That's a he'll of a grenade, pull the pin and boom... I kinda like the opportunity to throw it before it explodes!

You and me both.

Glockluster 08-17-2012 01:46 AM

i own a ruger sr 22 and deffenitly enjoy plinking with it. Another good one is the ruger markIII target pistol. Usually about $300 to $350 for either of them i believe.

donthav1 08-17-2012 02:02 AM

bersa thunder 22 is another option, i've never shot one but there's some members on here that have them & say good things about 'em

qwiksdraw 08-17-2012 11:32 AM

The Bersa Thunder 22 is a good gun, very accurate, reliable, easy to clean and fun to shoot. You can't beat the price either, but magazines are a little harder to find and kind of expensive (yet I have 4).

It could be a pocket gun for its size, but it is definitely not as small as the Bobcat or the Taurus PT22 or PLY22.

It is the same size as the Thunder 380, which I have one of those also.