Loading a Kahr PM9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Loading a Kahr PM9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Loading a Kahr PM9

I've had my PM9 for awhile now and it is my EDC, big time. I love this weapon. I have no problems with the pinkie hanging off the bottom. I do have to have a pretty first grip, though, because it jumps around a bit if I don't.

Okay, all that aside, I'm wondering about loading protocol. The owner's manual says (and I follow it religiously) that to load the weapon, one does this:

1) With magazine OUT, lock the slide open.
2) Insert magazine.
3) Close the slide by depressing slide release button, bringing the first round into battery.

And then I add:

4) Release mag, add another round, and reinsert full mag.

It specifically warns against loading the first round by racking the slide back (as one does with Glocks, etc.), warning that this could keep the first round from loading correctly.

Anybody have experience that says I could load the first round (reliably long-term without causing FTF's) using the slide rack versus the lock-open/load-mag/release method?

If you are an owner who never followed the suggested method cause you never read the manual let me know that, too. I do like to read, though. This protocol makes it seem it bit more complicated than it needs to be, though.

Any thoughts?

As a side issue, if you have any experience with this, does the Kahr P380 load the same way as the PM9?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5656 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

gun companies tend to write their manuals to the lowest common denominator in a lot of cases. some try to simplify things. using the slide stop to chamber a round in general provides slightly less positive force chambering a round than pulling fully to the rear and letting go.

when a round is fired the force of recoil will cause the slide to go all the way rearward past where the slide stop holds the slide open to chamber the next round...

a lot of folks tend to "ride" the slide when chambering a round causing feed issues. using the slide stop eliminates this. most liekly kahr got a lot of complaints involving this issue so they changed their manual.

nothing wrong with using the slide stop to chamber a round neither is racking the slide as long as your not holding onto it when chambering a round

Old 06-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #3

Interesting. I've got NO problems with racking the slide correctly on my Glock, so I'd be fine on the Kahr. You make a great point from a logical perspective that a complete cycle occurs on every shot so that should mean that correctly racking the slide on a full magazine shouldn't cause any problems. Plus, the idea that manufacturers are prone to make suggestions that would be least possible to cause problems. Another logical point in your favor.

However, your experience here is general. I'd like to hear from Kahr owners, too. I'm pretty closed to convinced with this solid bit of reasoning.

Plus, I don't like using the slide stop because a) it is a pain to have to add that extra step and b) very minutely I am causing extra wear on my slide stop lever each time I load the first round this way.

Thanks JonM!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned a number of Kahr's (my current EDC is a P9) and the slide rack does indeed cause problems - especially with newer guns. The little Kahr's are also hard on recoil springs and I'd swap them for new ones at 500-750 rounds. I use the slide release to drop the slide on all of my semi's and have for years with no ill effects...

Last edited by NGIB; 06-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #5

NGIB, does the spring break or weaken? Do you buy it at the Kahr shop online? I could imagine bad things happening if it broke during a critical situation.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
NGIB, does the spring break or weaken? Do you buy it at the Kahr shop online? I could imagine bad things happening if it broke during a critical situation.

Thanks for the info.
They weaken quickly. Short barreled guns are very hard on recoil springs - especially if you're shooting a lot of hot SD ammo. I've never had one break but it's time to change it at the first sign the gun no longer returns to battery with authority. I generally buy my springs from Kahr although another vendor like Brownells or Wolff may be carrying them now...

Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #7

I have a P380, PM40 and recently got the PM9. I have loaded all three using the slide stop method, and the racking the slide method, no problems either way.

John

Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #8

After starting this thread I've played with both methods to see if I noticed anything mechanically that would shed some light. One thing is that the slide stop mechanism is extremely strong on the Kahr compared to the Glock.

If I am less than extreme with my racking motion, it gets stopped by the slide lock. When I am very insistently forceful with my racking motion all the way to the back in one motion, it loads quite nicely. But the Kahr is most certainly more finicky than the Glock. Not a criticism, just something to keep in mind.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #9

The slide stop is hard on the thumb on this pistol unless the mag is dropped. Or is it just
my Kahr? Is there a way to make the slide stop easier? Also, with a loaded mag, mine
doesn't lock in the back position. What does that mean?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The only PM9 I have used worked fine either way with all but one magazine. That mag also failed to lock the slide back after the last rd. But it worked otherwise.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."