Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Loading clip capacity +1 (For concealed carry) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/loading-clip-capacity-1-concealed-carry-4406/)

Dan64456 05-10-2008 02:41 AM

Loading clip capacity +1 (For concealed carry)

In my Glock 30sf I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with loading 1 cartridge into the chamber from the mag, then taking out the mag and loading it up to its full capacity of 10 when carrying? (10+ 1) this is my first firearm, please advise... Thanks

hillbilly68 05-10-2008 08:35 AM

Nothing wrong with that at all if you prefer to do that, and you perfectly described the proper way to do so - strip it off the top of a mag and then reload the mag (with muzzle pointed in a safe direction).
regards

RONSERESURPLUS 05-10-2008 11:07 AM

Loading "MAGAZINE" to +1 capacty? (For Consealed carry)?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Now, as for your question of stripping the top round off a "MAGAZINE", in a Glock then removing the Magazine to load aother round in? Well, some might think that it's NO ISSUE AT ALL? In reality, having carried on and off duty for more than 25 years, I'd disagree! Loading off the Magazine, loads on the chamber, then "Edges" the next round a bit closer to the chamer via the ramp or feed area of a Semi-auto pistol! By removing the mag after chamering the top round and loading another, YES< you do get +1 round, Plus +1 Chance to a Jam! I've seen it in 1911A1 designs, Browning High powers as well as a few SIG designs, I'm not sure if it would on a Glock, but no reason for it to work any different! I've known a lot of Fellow officers that acttualy load -1 in thier mags to make usre that they had no problem with feeding? To me, thats over kill, but doing the +1 idea, to me, is just plain taking a chance I'd not take! Just my Opinion, but one based on 25 years of carry, and I know what I have sen in my firearms and others that worked with me? It's still in the end, your option! Pick what you feel comfortable with, I'd say, try it a few times at the range and see what it does for or against you? That way, you form an opinion based on facts of what you have seen, not just mine or others opinions?

Dan64456 05-10-2008 04:38 PM

Wow... Thanks for the great advice! I'll definitely test it out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS (Post 23667)
Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Now, as for your question of stripping the top round off a "MAGAZINE", in a Glock then removing the Magazine to load aother round in? Well, some might think that it's NO ISSUE AT ALL? In reality, having carried on and off duty for more than 25 years, I'd disagree! Loading off the Magazine, loads on the chamber, then "Edges" the next round a bit closer to the chamer via the ramp or feed area of a Semi-auto pistol! By removing the mag after chamering the top round and loading another, YES< you do get +1 round, Plus +1 Chance to a Jam! I've seen it in 1911A1 designs, Browning High powers as well as a few SIG designs, I'm not sure if it would on a Glock, but no reason for it to work any different! I've known a lot of Fellow officers that acttualy load -1 in thier mags to make usre that they had no problem with feeding? To me, thats over kill, but doing the +1 idea, to me, is just plain taking a chance I'd not take! Just my Opinion, but one based on 25 years of carry, and I know what I have sen in my firearms and others that worked with me? It's still in the end, your option! Pick what you feel comfortable with, I'd say, try it a few times at the range and see what it does for or against you? That way, you form an opinion based on facts of what you have seen, not just mine or others opinions?

hillbilly68 05-10-2008 10:42 PM

Have had no issues with my 1911 and Wilson Mags, but haven't tried this with the Glocks. Glad that you spoke up, will defer to experience on this one.

poolshark13 05-11-2008 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS (Post 23667)
Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

when you carry do you keep one in the chamber? or wait to load the round until its necessarry to pull your firearm? im assuming if you keep one chambered, you dont remove the mag and put the extra round in it.

RONSERESURPLUS 05-11-2008 06:41 PM

Loading magazines +1

Hello all/Responce to Pool, Hillybilly

Now that I'm retired and not on "Active Duty", I carry Condition # 3 in my 1911A1 Empty Chanber as well in my Browning Hi Power, if I go into a higher threat I revert back to Condition # 1, a round in the chanmer and the hammer back, safty on! In my smaller back up or hotter weather gun a PA-63, I carry it with one in the chamber and hammer down as it's double action! It works for me? never had an AD or fired when I didn't mean to, not in 25 years!

Missing Something 05-13-2008 06:41 PM

Hummm.... I never have had a problem with that.....

I load a mag into the gun and chamber a round. I then remove the mag and top it up with 1 more round and seat the bullets by hitting the back of the mag on the palm of my hand. I then reinsert the full mag back into the gun.

I have never had a FTF or stovepipe stopage.

I use a Glock 22 and 29.

just my 2 cents.

pioneer461 05-13-2008 10:34 PM

I must respectfully disagree with Ronseresurplus on this one. Modern firearms, one of which is the Glock, are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, and a full magazine. This is also true for 1911's. The only other way I know of loading a round in the chamber would be to open the action, drop a round in the chamber and release the slide into battery. That, however, can damage the extractor and is not recommended by any manufacturer.

RONSERESURPLUS 05-13-2008 10:43 PM

Loading magazine +1

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

It's all a matter of what you do,m the "Threat" in your area, how you feel and such? I never said I was 100% correct, only 100% me?? LOL I was asked what I did and I just told them? If you folks have never hada FTF in a GLOCK or anything else with the +1 Idea, go for it, but I see it as a +1 chance of a FTF the 2nd round, when you really need it?

As for Condition # 3, I used to feel more confortable with Condition #1, a loaded round in chanmer and a hammer back, Now, that I'm in a less stressfull environment, I like the Chanmer empty and a loaded mag, If I don't have the 5 sec max I need to pull and chamer one, wqe are in big trouble?