Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Loaded during storage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 834 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Keep mine loaded one mag in but no round chambered

Wyoming is what America was
nice hammer

Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower
Keep mine loaded one mag in but no round chambered
oh hell here we go again.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
That could be a democrapic donkey, not a horse.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
just figured I'd try and create my own census.
Not knowing how many you may have you could do a test. Keep some full some at half. Shoot regularly and see if you notice any feed issues. My expectation is that you will not be able to detect a difference but it is not about what I think, it's about you building confidence you selected the right mode (full vs. not full).

Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #25

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

nice hammer
I do not use "hammer" properly while typing on my phone. However, I do while I'm sitting at my computer desk.

Is that better

Wyoming is what America was

Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #26

Good readin to me. I'll keep a couple loaded & probably buy 1 or 2 extra mags just to have incase. You never know when they might stop making them or something anyway. I'd hate to think the two mags I have for this gun are Irreplaceable.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Can I just start screaming now?

If a spring is properly designed, it will not be hurt by cycling , compressing to it's limits, or any other normal usage you can come up with. Springs are not simple physics and metallurgy, they are complex mechanical devices. I have zero reason to believe any of the big manufacturers did not properly design their magazine springs.

I want to see the "Glock" with the broken magazine spring. Without even looking at it, I'd bet 10:1 it's an aftermarket mag. Last time I heard that, it was "my brothers friend" who's a police officer and everybody in their dept has broken magazine springs. If that's the case, then maybe the dept needs to buy a different brand

Load em up, and leave them loaded! Personally, I put 1o rounds in my 13 round magazine... Why? not because I don't trust the spring, I just don't like to carry the extra weight, and if I got in a firefight that needed more then 10 rounds, I'm probably already screwed, LOL.
Scream away. The properties of a spring are simple metallurgy and physics. And flexing a spring repeatedly will weaken it. Absolutely. Not opinion. Fact. Flexing any metal repeatedly will weaken it. It is quite common after firing thousands of rounds through a handgun to replace the recoil and/or hammer spring, because the repeated flexing has weakened them.

http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=662

Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 834 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Scream away. The properties of a spring are simple metallurgy and physics. And flexing a spring repeatedly will weaken it. Absolutely. Not opinion. Fact. Flexing any metal repeatedly will weaken it. It is quite common after firing thousands of rounds through a handgun to replace the recoil and/or hammer spring, because the repeated flexing has weakened them.

http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=662
I would suggest that if you thing spring design is simple, to try it.
Part Deux has a mechanical engineering degree, two patents for products that used springs, and an engineering license... and a handful of other non important degrees. Spring design goes way beyond simple physics and metal properties. I'll give you an example, you can substantially increase a spring's life cycle by correctly tumbling the spring in a media. Leave it in there too long, and you'll cut the life in half. There has been some evidence of changing base metalurgical properties by freezing the metal in liquid nitrogen and letting it slowly warm to room temperature, which can impact a spring.

Springs should be designed to run millions of cycles. Take a look at one of the bibles http://www.scribd.com/doc/29044778/Spring-Design-Handbook and tell me that it's simple Hell a plain #2 pencil could be used as a spring... for a couple of cycles

how many cycles do engine valve springs go through? Bet it's more then a couple dozen

Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'll make one more pass at this. Then I'm out of this fruitless conversation. To everyone's delight I'm sure.

All you've argued is that high quality hi-tech springs will outlast cheap springs. No one ever said otherwise. Everything that happens to a spring, every factor in its molecular makeup, every action of that spring, every reaction to outside forces and environmental factors are dictated at every level by the laws of physics. The metallic bonding and the of the electrons in the conductive band, determine its behavior in every instance. And those interactions are controlled by the laws of physics. Every engineering principle since the beginning of time is dictated by the laws of physics. Every engineering principle that will ever be conceived will be determined by the laws of physics.

Before I leave I'll point out that physics was my chosen career path early on, before life's little pleasantries forced me to abandon my education and actually work for a living. But that has not stopped me from gaining a substantial level of education and training in physics. I just don't have a stack of papers which proves to the world that I are smart. However in spite of my lack of academic credentials, give me a holler any time you wish to discuss the latest findings in Quantum Electro Dynamics or the theoretical properties of the Higgs Boson, and this poor uneducated peon will indulge you.

I'm gone....time to celebrate.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Paladin, with all due respect, I do understand your frustration. When you first posted about the property of metal springs, I knew you were putting way too much thought into the answer. As you now see the answer I gave has come to fruition although you tried to interject get this, FACTS opions very factual or not.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649