Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Loaded during storage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Default Loaded during storage?

And, if so, fully loaded, or just a few rounds? I've been keeping my mags fully loaded during storage, but recently decided that might be some unnecessary wear on them so I've gone to half loaded, but I'm starting to wonder if my logic, that leads me to believe having them loaded at all is a good thing to retain spring tension and pliability, is sorely mistaken.

I've read a few threads about it with varying opinions, just figured I'd try and create my own census.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine r always fully loaded. But I do unload them sometimes just to let the spring breathe.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is a topic that will almost always start an argument. But leaving a magazine fully loaded for long periods does not harm it. It is flexing a spring that weakens it, not being compressed for long periods.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2059 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Keep in mind that there are millions of pieces of equipment all over the world with billions of springs in them that are kept in compressed conditions for years and years and years, and nothing bad happens to them.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Marine corps taught us to leave 1 or 2 bullets out of magazines to help spring life

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, the one exception to the rule that keeping a spring compressed doesn't hurt it is if the spring becomes bound. That is, compressed beyond it's normal range, where the metal in the spring becomes torqued or stressed. That can damage a spring and shorten its life. Some makes and types of magazines are poorly designed so that if fully loaded the spring does bind up. Thus the common practice of leaving one or two rounds out to relieve the binding. But a normal spring, compressed a normal amount can stay that way almost indefinitely. I forget which pistol I had a while back that if you attempted to load the magazine to capacity, the spring bound up so bad you had to force that last round in. Not good for a lot of reasons.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

All of my magazines for the pistols are loaded, but i do load one round short. The only loaded rifle mags are for the SKS, also loaded one short. The shotty, she is packed and ready to be racked.

I don't have any unsharpened knives either.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

with respect,
This subject has been discussed before but that won’t stop me from sharing my thoughts on the subject.
If you chose to leave your mag/s fully loaded cool if not that’s cool too if you want to down load by 1 well that’s another way. I have not seen a Witten rule boot on the subject there is no point blank yes or no answer. Just the same as what do you think is better a ______ or the ________ for stopping _________?

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
with respect,
This subject has been discussed before but that won’t stop me from sharing my thoughts on the subject.
If you chose to leave your mag/s fully loaded cool if not that’s cool too if you want to down load by 1 well that’s another way. I have not seen a Witten rule boot on the subject there is no point blank yes or no answer. Just the same as what do you think is better a ______ or the ________ for stopping _________?
Have to respectfully disagree. Which gun or bullet is "better" is highly subjective. But whether or not a spring will weaken due to being compressed has a direct yes/no answer (no). It's simple metallurgy, which is a well developed science. The elastic and tensile properties of metals are well known. This is one of many technical articles on the subject.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/?tag=content;col1

Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I keep my hd guns loaded. As far as storage as per op, why? I don't foresee a situation (at this time) why I would need 5 loaded 30 round mags for my ak at the ready. My ammo stays in cans until I may need it.

NEVER FORGET