Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Loaded during storage? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/loaded-during-storage-56345/)

BeyondTheBox 01-26-2012 03:32 AM

Loaded during storage?

And, if so, fully loaded, or just a few rounds? I've been keeping my mags fully loaded during storage, but recently decided that might be some unnecessary wear on them so I've gone to half loaded, but I'm starting to wonder if my logic, that leads me to believe having them loaded at all is a good thing to retain spring tension and pliability, is sorely mistaken.

I've read a few threads about it with varying opinions, just figured I'd try and create my own census.

NvRbanArms 01-26-2012 03:35 AM

Mine r always fully loaded. But I do unload them sometimes just to let the spring breathe.

Paladin201 01-26-2012 12:14 PM

This is a topic that will almost always start an argument. But leaving a magazine fully loaded for long periods does not harm it. It is flexing a spring that weakens it, not being compressed for long periods.

ScottA 01-26-2012 12:27 PM

Keep in mind that there are millions of pieces of equipment all over the world with billions of springs in them that are kept in compressed conditions for years and years and years, and nothing bad happens to them.

bostonscottkelly 01-26-2012 08:26 PM

Marine corps taught us to leave 1 or 2 bullets out of magazines to help spring life

Paladin201 01-26-2012 08:37 PM

Well, the one exception to the rule that keeping a spring compressed doesn't hurt it is if the spring becomes bound. That is, compressed beyond it's normal range, where the metal in the spring becomes torqued or stressed. That can damage a spring and shorten its life. Some makes and types of magazines are poorly designed so that if fully loaded the spring does bind up. Thus the common practice of leaving one or two rounds out to relieve the binding. But a normal spring, compressed a normal amount can stay that way almost indefinitely. I forget which pistol I had a while back that if you attempted to load the magazine to capacity, the spring bound up so bad you had to force that last round in. Not good for a lot of reasons.

orangello 01-26-2012 08:46 PM

All of my magazines for the pistols are loaded, but i do load one round short. The only loaded rifle mags are for the SKS, also loaded one short. The shotty, she is packed and ready to be racked. :D

I don't have any unsharpened knives either.

rigjumpr 01-26-2012 09:42 PM

with respect,
This subject has been discussed before but that won’t stop me from sharing my thoughts on the subject.
If you chose to leave your mag/s fully loaded cool if not that’s cool too if you want to down load by 1 well that’s another way. I have not seen a Witten rule boot on the subject there is no point blank yes or no answer. Just the same as what do you think is better a ______ or the ________ for stopping _________?

Paladin201 01-26-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigjumpr (Post 690265)
with respect,
This subject has been discussed before but that wonít stop me from sharing my thoughts on the subject.
If you chose to leave your mag/s fully loaded cool if not thatís cool too if you want to down load by 1 well thatís another way. I have not seen a Witten rule boot on the subject there is no point blank yes or no answer. Just the same as what do you think is better a ______ or the ________ for stopping _________?

Have to respectfully disagree. Which gun or bullet is "better" is highly subjective. But whether or not a spring will weaken due to being compressed has a direct yes/no answer (no). It's simple metallurgy, which is a well developed science. The elastic and tensile properties of metals are well known. This is one of many technical articles on the subject.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/?tag=content;col1

downsouth 01-26-2012 11:35 PM

I keep my hd guns loaded. As far as storage as per op, why? I don't foresee a situation (at this time) why I would need 5 loaded 30 round mags for my ak at the ready. My ammo stays in cans until I may need it.