Llama 1911 45acp any good?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Llama 1911 45acp any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default Llama 1911 45acp any good?

I have a chance to get a Llama 1911 45, for $235 I was wondering if any one had any experience with these. I have heard of them but never shot one. I was gonna get it for a truck gun not really for range or carry but I did like the way it felt. it is the commander size with the 3 or 3.25" barrel. would appreciate any comments.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

My step father had one in 380 when I was about 8 years old. I shot it once. He carried it for a long time. He was a hot head. Probably should not have had a permit. Shot at someones car one time for sliding around in his new gravel parking lot. He sold it when I was about 13. I got pissed and pointed it at him. He got $400 for it. His went bang just fine. I never remember him complaining about it. I am sure parts would be hard to find. It is not a true 1911. The parts are not interchangable with other 1911s.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have one that I acquired for $200 a decade ago. It has been a flawless running gun other than the hammer tends to bite the webbing of my hand. I don't shoot it much. It is the full size version.
I was considering replacing the beaver tail safety to eliminate the bite so it is good to know it does not take 1911 parts as I was unaware of that. It looks just like every other 1911 I have seen.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy9mm View Post
I have a chance to get a Llama 1911 45, for $235 I was wondering if any one had any experience with these. I have heard of them but never shot one. I was gonna get it for a truck gun not really for range or carry but I did like the way it felt. it is the commander size with the 3 or 3.25" barrel. would appreciate any comments.

The "Firestorm" 1911 made by Llama was not true to standard 1911 specs & with Llama being out of business, parts are really hard to find. Even standard 1911 grips will not fit because of location of the grip screws. There was a "Firestorm" 1911 made by Metro Arms in the Philipines that was a better pistol.

I've read both good & bad owner reviews in regard to reliability & quality, but mostly bad. Personally, even though I'm not a fan of the American Classic or Rock Island 1911s, I'd recommend putting about $200 more with it & buy one of them or any of the Philipines made 1911s.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I have one that I acquired for $200 a decade ago. It has been a flawless running gun other than the hammer tends to bite the webbing of my hand. I don't shoot it much. It is the full size version.
I was considering replacing the beaver tail safety to eliminate the bite so it is good to know it does not take 1911 parts as I was unaware of that. It looks just like every other 1911 I have seen.
Every full sized Llama i've ever had gave me hammer bite too- I just took a little off the hammer & problem was solved. It only took a "hair" & if you shape, polish & touch up with cold blue no one will ever know

On the Llama's in general I've always had excellant luck with them - Had a couple that were scarey accurate---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy9mm View Post
Sounds like you are looking at the MiniMax or MiniMax II. The MiniMax is a 6 round mag and the MiniMax II is a double stack mag holding 10.

I have both and several others as well. A lot of standard parts will fit, but like
many other makes, some are brand specific. Numerich (e-gunparts) has some
of the parts if needed.

I have had no problems with the Llamas but they do not like anything other than FMJ ammo without some work (feed problems). I have also seen jam problems when using some aftermarket mags that supposedly were made for the specific Llama model.

For $235, I'd go for it if it looked clean and in good shape........
Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I went back and looked at the Llama very close and checked it out as good as I could without actually firing it, the mag spring seemed like it was very soft and had some marks on the feed ramp where it looked like it had been filed with a rough file and had some heavy wear marks on the frame where the slide had been rubbing, needless to say I left it alone. But I did go by my friends pawn shop and picked up a S&W sigma 9mm that looked almost new w/2 mags and original box for $175, so that is my new truck gun now.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I appreciate the help and comments. Always helps to have some different opinions. Thanks

Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy it, you'll be glad you did.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
jyo

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Llama pistols were the lowest quality of the Spanish pistols---Star and Astra were much better---I speak after managing several gun stores when these guns were in production---I personally would not by any Llama. All the Spanish guns are now long out of production and parts and magazines could be a problem---I say pass!