life of a magazine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > life of a magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Default life of a magazine

Im just curious to know how long magazines last. I have the original mags for my usp 45c and glock 23 that are both 8+ years old. They both still feed flawlessly and lock the slide back when empty. I use to shoot a whole lot more years ago so literally thousands of rounds have been though these mags. These are currently my oldest firearms so I was wondering what's the oldest mags you have that are stock and still work. What is the recommended time frame for mag replacement?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It really just depends. There are blots of variables. I know guys who have 15+ year old block mags that still work fine. With most quality guns the magazine will last a long time. I do know people that switch out springs or replace mags every couple years in their carry pieces just to be sure. After eight years, and if you use it for SD it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a couple new ones.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7135 Times on 3908 Posts
Likes Given: 14437

You could just replace the spring and MAYBE the follower. Magazine shells last forever.

Ever heard of a Mosin Nagant?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dittoe. I've heard Wolff makes pretty good replacement springs.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

8 years isn't even properly broken in, unless you're shooting 20k per year.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I have owned and shot many pistols from the '20's that worked fine with the original magazines. That's over 80 years!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Glock mags have an 8 year expiration. I have a disposal program. If you send me your mags I will send you several links where you can purchase new ones.

Seriously you should be fine. Unless you are having any FTF's or other malfunctions.

I bought a handful of used mags at a show once and one had a spring that was noticeably less tense. It functioned fine when I shot it but I got some replacement springs for peace of mind.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I have owned and shot many pistols from the '20's that worked fine with the original magazines. That's over 80 years!
Seriously? Now that's amazing.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #9

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Seriously? Now that's amazing.
i don't consider it amazing. If you have any old stuff with springs likely they still work after many years. If you go to Grandma's house and she is hanging up the laundry the clothes pins might be 20 years old and still work fine. There is little reason for springs to just quit working. I shot a Civil War Spencer rifle that was made in 1864 and the magazine still worked fine and I assume it was the original spring. I've shot many Winchester rifles that were made before 1900 and the magazine springs worked just fine. When I ran a gunsmithing shop for many years I do not remember ever changing a tubular mag spring, ever in anyone's gun. The striker spring in the pistol on your avatar is always under compression are you going to change that? Or worry about it?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #10

I was referring to mag springs not striker spring but since you mention it I probably will change that out after a few more thousand rounds. I just honestly never knew springs in a magazine would still work reliably after 80 years. I was not being sarcastic or anything. I would not trust mags that old in a self defense gun even if they do prove reliable. Just wanted to see what people thought was a reasonable time table for mag replacement.