Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > lets talk about the taurus pt-25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstncmpbll View Post
Dang I'm going to look into that. I need to ween her into big guns. My ruger is "scary" she says
Again, I haven't tried it. There are a good number of people around here who don't go below .45 for self-defense, but almost everyone agrees that .32 is too small. However, Chuck Hawks, a pretty reliable source for all things firearms, said that self defense is a "legitimate application" for the cartridge, and it's capable of 15-inch gel penetration with a 115 gr bullet (Guns & Ammo), plenty for self-defense.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
To her its all about the pink. I may just get her a ruger lcp. But it seems like any sub-compact out there isn't fully reliable. Maybe she can cram a 1911 or an xdm in her purse
Carrying a FIREARM is serious business, and it should not be taken lightly. Nor should it be thought of as a fashion accessory.

If it's all about the pink, I say forget handgun and get her a pink blouse and some pepper spray.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #13

The .45ACP thing is just that, a thing. I'm not knocking the cartridge, but it is not the end all of all things. The old saying, "they all fall to hard ball", came about from the 1911 .45. But, it's just not true. Nor was it ever!

With modern ammunition, the 9mm can hold it's own with no appologies in this world. The new .327 Federal is a near match for the 9mm in a revolver. Even current .38 and .38+P ammunition can really ruin your day.

The .25 ACP is a long way down on the power curve and really shouldn't be counted on as a viable defense round. But it beats yelling or spitting at them. The .22LR isn't a whole lot better. But the same goes.

Small revolvers with .38 and .38+P ammo bark and sting. Small revolvers with .357M flat hurt. Small autos of 9mm and up, can also be a handful, depending on the person. And even the "Manly" types that can "handle" them, don't shoot them a lot.

My son-in-law recently bought one of the new Taurus 380 mini guns. He was a little surprised at the ferocity of that one as well. He normally carries an S&W 5906. But, he will keep the Taurus for those times when he simply can't pack the Smith.

No, take her out and let her try some of the smaller, not lightweight or ultra-lightweight .38 revolvers using standard 38s and maybe some +Ps. See how she does. If she's not going to carry it, get her a .38 or .357 K-Frame, or equivalent, and then load it with .38+Ps. It'll do right by her if she does right by it.

The .327 in the Ruger SP-101 provides 6-shots of near 9mm power in a small, easily handled weapon.

Good Luck!

SgtSam

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #14

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I may just get her a ruger lcp.
Have her shoot one before you waste $300+. Horrible trigger and a mile long.
Sig P238 is my new favorite pocketgun. Check one of them out.

Purse carry......is better than no carry. But is her purse going to be on her @ all times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSam View Post
the new .327 Federal is a near match for the 9mm in a revolver.

Ummmm...... 327 Fed Mag EXCEEDS 9mm values. Energy values are nearly identical to .40s&w.

*through a little deeper look, some of the 100gr .327 compared to 130gr 357 mag....

.........327 357

FPS 1500 1410
FT #'s 500 574

Thereby kicking the snot out of the ol 9mm

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 02-20-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #15

[duplicate

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thoroughly-reasearched as usual, Will, thanks.

For the OP: If I had to pick a small-bore carry, it'd be a Kel Tec PMR 30. 30 rounds of 22 Win Mag in a flush-fit magazine, and the whole package is only an inch wide. 22 WMR has significantly better stopping power than either the 22 LR or even the 25 Auto. Makes a big bang, but doesn't recoil much.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #17

Liked 77 Times on 48 Posts

The .25 can be quite deadly, and has very good penetration. It is a centerfire cartridge and more reliable than a rimfire-both in feeding and firing. The .25 actually has more velocity and energy than a .22lr from a 2" barrel.
Shot placement is paramount with any handgun-even a .45. If your wife likes the gun, that's all that matters.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

To be honest with you i dont trust any gun made by taurus but thats just me. On top of that .25 acp is not very suitable for self defence IMO. At most it can be used as a extreme close quarters with head shots to blind and distort the attacker and allow yourself to excape danger... just my opinion...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #19

Liked 77 Times on 48 Posts

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to publicly state that a .25 will only blind or disorient someone is totally irresponsible. You are absolutely wrong!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
To be honest with you i dont trust any gun made by taurus but thats just me.
One of those guys..............