Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Leaving gun in car (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/leaving-gun-car-93498/)

cblowe13 07-07-2013 12:37 PM

Leaving gun in car

I leave my lc9 under seat in zip up bag since I don't have cwp at the moment so I opened it today and it had like this type of brown rust looking and it's brand new literally few weeks. But it rubs off wtf? I don't understand what it is, my guess is maybe the weather in my car doing that possibly air hitting it. Help me out please

winds-of-change 07-07-2013 12:52 PM

It sounds like surface rust. Where are you located at? Is it hot and humid.
I would never use a plastic sealing bag to store my gun in. It doesn't breath and, in fact, would act like a green house trapping heat and possibly forming condensation. I would recommend getting a gun safe made to be slid under a car seat. Also, I would recommend getting a CWP so you don't get caught with a gun illegally and find you can no longer ever own a gun again. :cool:

deadsp0t 07-07-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I would never use a plastic sealing bag to store my gun in. It doesn't breath and, in fact, would act like a green house trapping heat and possibly forming condensation. I would recommend getting a gun save made to be slid under a car seat. Also, I would recommend getting a CWP so you don't get caught with a gun illegally and find you can no longer ever own a gun again. :cool:

Agreed on all points, mine resides in the holster in the car.. If you don't have a holster or one that won't fit under the seat, a breathable nylon/mesh bag will work. I also use the cotton carry bag for my headphones. As stated an under seat safe is your best option

cblowe13 07-07-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I would never use a plastic sealing bag to store my gun in. It doesn't breath and, in fact, would act like a green house trapping heat and possibly forming condensation. I would recommend getting a gun save made to be slid under a car seat. Also, I would recommend getting a CWP so you don't get caught with a gun illegally and find you can no longer ever own a gun again. :cool:

It's not illegal in sc to have the gun in the car as long as its not seen. It's actually in the ruger zip up case. It tends to get humid. But this problem only a few times will not hurt it right. Like continue to have rust if I take it out

deadsp0t 07-07-2013 01:19 PM

It should be fine, I had an early XD9 and the slide had a similar issue due to the coating or lack of. I had to clean/oil it daily, carrying inside work is simply was not an option for me. I eventually had it dura coated and sold it.

Keep it clean/oiled, it will be fine, particularly if don't continue to leave it in the car. Humidity sucks.

cblowe13 07-07-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t
It should be fine, I had an early XD9 and the slide had a similar issue due to the coating or lack of. I had to clean/oil it daily, carrying inside work is simply was not an option for me. I eventually had it dura coated and sold it.

Keep it clean/oiled, it will be fine, particularly if don't continue to leave it in the car. Humidity sucks.

Okay thank you for your advice

PanBaccha 07-07-2013 02:03 PM

I have a Nano car vault cabled beneath my seat. That's where I place my firearm whenever I leave it in the car momentarily. That's a lot better than putting it in a plastic bag with the car close in the heat. Plus it's a lot safer. Click link below:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204219243?productId=204219243&storeId=10051&langId =-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=204219243&cm_mmc=shopping %2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5f%2d204219243&c i_gpa=pla#.Udl0l77D-Cg

Axxe55 07-07-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1297439)
It's not illegal in sc to have the gun in the car as long as its not seen. It's actually in the ruger zip up case. It tends to get humid. But this problem only a few times will not hurt it right. Like continue to have rust if I take it out

get a gun sock that inpregnated with silicone. it will prevent the surface rust. a closed up vehicle in hot humid weather can cause rust in a very short time. i have seen bare metal here in East Texas develop surface rust in less than an hour.

the plastic bag is trapping moisture. just like Winds said, it's condensation forming in there.

cblowe13 07-07-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

get a gun sock that inpregnated with silicone. it will prevent the surface rust. a closed up vehicle in hot humid weather can cause rust in a very short time. i have seen bare metal here in East Texas develop surface rust in less than an hour.

the plastic bag is trapping moisture. just like Winds said, it's condensation forming in there.

Yeah ill try that but the bag is not plastic! I would never put a gun that I pay over 400 in a plastic bag it's in a carry case

Axxe55 07-07-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1297502)
Yeah ill try that but the bag is not plastic! I would never put a gun that I pay over 400 in a plastic bag it's in a carry case

sorry, misread. one of those zip-up gun rugs are for transport only, and not for storage, even very short term in humid climates.