Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Learning more (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/learning-more-69206/)

Mbrandt1 07-29-2012 04:20 PM

Learning more

I am an avid gun fan and I currently own 2 and am getting ready to buy a 3rd. Aside from what i currently own, I am not very up to date about the technical side of guns such as overall weapons terminology, the mechanics, caliber differentials and so on. I would like to become better and more knowledgeable in this area. Any suggestion? Books, websites or otherwise that would be helpful?

JonM 07-29-2012 04:53 PM

I would recomend going through many of the stickies in the various subforums here at firearmstalk.

AIKIJUTSU 08-01-2012 02:46 PM

At your local supermarket or Walmart there are several kinds of magazines pertaining to firearms, Guns & Ammo, Guns, American Handgunner, etc. The have writeups about various kinds of guns, with pictures, terminology, quick-n-dirty descriptions of them, including action types, magazine or cylinder capacity, construction, accuracy, etc. They also contain a lot of advertising by manufacturers of guns, ammo, holsters, accessories. They need to be taken with a grain of salt, but you should be able to get some uesful info from them.

JD1969 08-01-2012 04:47 PM

You have the internet, you can learn a ton just by searching and reading. Start with Youtube and watch some reviews, pick a gun and type it in the search box. Of course keep in mind that these are the opinions of the person making the vid and might not be totally accurate, but you will learn pretty fast who knows what they are doing and who does not. Go to companies web sites and check out their guns. Find a local range that offers NRA classes, the list is endless.

roscoguy 08-02-2012 01:15 AM

Pick up a copy of Gun Digest and/or Shooter's Bible. They both have pictures with spec's & prices of nearly all available models of handguns, rifles & shotguns. There are also quite a few articles you may find interesting & ballistic tables for different calibers. I usually buy one or the other every few years just to drool over all the new stuff. :D

canebrake 08-02-2012 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbrandt1 (Post 886068)
I am an avid gun fan and I currently own 2 and am getting ready to buy a 3rd. Aside from what i currently own, I am not very up to date about the technical side of guns such as overall weapons terminology, the mechanics, caliber differentials and so on. I would like to become better and more knowledgeable in this area. Any suggestion? Books, websites or otherwise that would be helpful?

Google is your friend. Punch in the make and model of your gun and start reading.

Add review or issues to your search and see what pops up.

TekGreg 08-02-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969 (Post 889418)
You have the internet, you can learn a ton just by searching and reading. Start with Youtube and watch some reviews, pick a gun and type it in the search box. Of course keep in mind that these are the opinions of the person making the vid and might not be totally accurate, but you will learn pretty fast who knows what they are doing and who does not. Go to companies web sites and check out their guns. Find a local range that offers NRA classes, the list is endless.

JD has a very valid point here - I always assume anything on the Internet is either inaccurate or an out-and-out LIE unless I get three independent sources to confirm. Remember that the gun magazines are wholly dependent on their advertisers and will therefore not give a wholly accurate evaluation, but for pictures and descriptions are usually very good.

Mbrandt1 08-02-2012 02:26 PM

Thank you very much gentleman. I will look into this immediately. Guns were a part of my childhood and a great American tradition that will be a part of me until the day I die. I am out to learn as much about them as I can. Thank you.