LCP vs. P3AT - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > LCP vs. P3AT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Went to the range with the LCP today. Absolutely flawless operation on Winchester White Box and Remington UMC. Decent 2-3" Groups at 10 yards, most error comes form the shooter. Short snappy recoil was tolerable, and not as bad as I expected.

On a side note, the wife went with me and I had her shooting my S&W 22A .22lr. A guy the next bench over was struggling with his new Ruger 22/45. I gave him a couple different types of ammo I had with me and the pistol performed terrible (FTF mostly) with the same ammo my little Smith had no trouble with. I have not had any recent experince with the 22/45s and this one would tell me my 22A is a better piece, at least this time.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 AM   #12

My local gun shop has had two LCP's go back to Ruger for the same broken part. Someone on one of the other forums sent his back when his trigger broke after 98 rounds. I won't buy a gun during the first couple of production runs, till they get the bugs out. Just my $.02. Congrats to you guys who have no issues with the LCP.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #13

I knew of others troubles, but I guess I'm counting on Ruger defending their reputation of building good firearms.

Ironically, this is why the 22/45 guy surprised me. By most accounts that is a GREAT piece of work. I had an old Mark II, still in the family, and still a fine gun. I struggled to ot buy another Ruger .22lr practice gun, but the Smith fit me better.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shot the KelTec and being a female noticed that the finish wasn't all that smooth. The guy whose gun I shot had a rough spot that cut his hand which had to be filed down. I loved the look and feel and size of the gun, but ended up buying one of the Raspberry Rugers, mainly because it was, well, pink. I also looked at the Taurus. I think all three are identical and shoot identical. The only difference with the KelTec is it does not have a slide lock. But now that I have the Ruger, I pull the pin and remove the slide and really have no reason to lock the slide.

Mine was only $289, added a DeSantis pocket holster, ammo and two more mags.

Last edited by BunnyWabbit; 07-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I own both. I don't mind beating the P3AT up when working around the house and carry it in a Desantis pocket holster.....the LCP has CT and I use it for "dressier" carry and use an IWB rig by Tennessee Gun Works. I've seen in here and various other forums that some people have experienced finish wear on their Keltec's but after three years of carry with a lot of sweat from the Texas heat, have not noticed any problem....I don't even clean the Keltec and simply wipe it off with a tee shirt occasionally and make sure the bore is clear.

Both are good reliable pistols but the Keltec has a very sensitive trigger reset and the slightest pressure on the trigger after firing will prevent the trigger from resetting. I prefer the LCP. Either are very susceptible to limp-wrist malfunctions.

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #16

I haven't tried the Kel-Tec but I don't regret getting the LCP.
I've only put about 200 rounds through it but I haven't had any FTF/FTE issues.
I'll be using a Desantis pocket holster when it's worn in enough,fits in my pocket like its not even there.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own an LCP and a P3AT. Can't say that one is any better than the other. I carry the P3AT daily, only because I bought it first. Both shoot fine and are reliable.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #18

Got to shoot my new LCP today. was not sure what to expect. I have heard good and bad. shot 50 rds rem hpt 102 gn good pattern not one fte. Shot 50 rds Rem fmj 95 gn very good pattern, accurate, no fte. This little pistol has a little kick but not near as bad as my glock 27 40 s&w. I love this pistol, light easy to conceal and no malfunctions. I did not like the sights, probably the worst thing about it. I painted the front sight with bright sights and helped a lot. The only other negative was the location of the mag eject, accidently ejected once. I would reccomend to any one looking for a great lightweight concealed weapon.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've owned both Rugers & Kel- Tec.

The Ruger brand overall is a much higher quality weapon .

IMHO if the cost are similar (and they are) why you would buy a poorer finished gun.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyWabbit View Post
The only difference with the KelTec is it does not have a slide lock.
I've read about this and am piping up because this fact bothered me. That is the deal killer for me. If it has a slide and takes a magazine, I would expect the basic slide lock function for quick reloading after empty. Without a slide lock, I don't understand the benefit of having a magazine loader vs. the more dependable revolver. I have speed loaders for my wheel guns and they are actually fairly quick once you become proficient. No slide lock kinda kisses the benefit of a semi-auto good bye for me. I'm not particularly fond of Kel-Tec's cheap firearms to begin with. I have to admit, I've only handled them and I've never shot one because you can't find them as rentals (around here).

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!