Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > LCP vs. P3AT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default LCP vs. P3AT

Has anyone heard anything that really separates the P3AT and LCP besides fit and finish?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The fact that neither one is a 1911? *ZING*

Sorry bro, I got nothing on this one...

JD

Old 08-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirIsaacNewton View Post
Has anyone heard anything that really separates the P3AT and LCP besides fit and finish?
NOT really. There are minor dimensional differences. I'd say flip a coin: heads is Ruger, Tails is Tel Tec. Right now the Tel Tec P3AT is more readily available... As tiny plastic guns go, they are both OK. I bought a P3AT simply because the Ruger LCP was on back-order...

Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #4

I have the P3AT and don't plan on getting rid of it for the LCP. Mine has been dependable and from what I have read the LCP's are really not any more so. They do have two features that are pluses. The ejector is fixed and will not fall out and the guide rod opening at the muzzle is a part of the slide rather than a separate piece. Both of these on my Kel-Tek are very easy to misplace when cleaning.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans View Post
I have the P3AT and don't plan on getting rid of it for the LCP. Mine has been dependable and from what I have read the LCP's are really not any more so. They do have two features that are pluses. The ejector is fixed and will not fall out and the guide rod opening at the muzzle is a part of the slide rather than a separate piece. Both of these on my Kel-Tek are very easy to misplace when cleaning.
I agree, those parts are easily lost... I haven't lost mine yet but I probably will one of these days. I don't shoot my P3AT very often but it gets cleaned about every 2 months. It's my pocket carry and it picks up pocket bunnies and other FOD.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #6

It's funny I stumbled across this thread today and right after I read it my buddy calls me and said his GF's mom just purchased one (P3AT) and she had brought it over after leaving the local shop. I went over and checked it out. It seems like a really cool little pistol. My friend and I were drooling all over it of course so she said that she will take us out and let us shoot it when she goes. I have never had the opportunity to fire a .380 or such a small pistol yet so I am curious as to how it feels. My guess is that due to the size of the gun in relation to the size of the cartridges that it will be relatively loud and possibly have some rather "snappy" recoil.....just guesses though from my VERY limited handgun usage. I am sure I will be proven wrong when I actually get to shoot it. lol.

Anyway yeah, I really thought it was a cool little, lightweight pistol and I am looking forward to shooting it myself.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes they have a snappy recoil, especailly if you use higher powered ammo like Cor Bon. It's an excellent pocket gun, but that's all it is. There are far better autoloaders if you go up in size a bit.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #8

Default LIpstick on a Pig

kinda applies, the Ruger LCP is indeedy a nicety of Pocket rockets but the Kel Tec, established, proven, redesigned as far as failures go (ejector, etc) and the Ruger is a name brand dear to most hearts. But when you take away that lipstick (The Ruger name) a 380 is a 380 and I prefer the P3AT until much time has passed and the Ruger proven to be better than the Kel tec.
I am on my n2nd one, the latest generation with all the redesigns and it has yet to fail to function as it should. It is a constant pocket companion and the hard chrome slide, after a year, still does not show any holster wear from the leather or cordura pocket holsters I swap out often.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Bend View Post
kinda applies, the Ruger LCP is indeedy a nicety of Pocket rockets but the Kel Tec, established, proven, redesigned as far as failures go (ejector, etc) and the Ruger is a name brand dear to most hearts. But when you take away that lipstick (The Ruger name) a 380 is a 380 and I prefer the P3AT until much time has passed and the Ruger proven to be better than the Kel tec.
I am on my n2nd one, the latest generation with all the redesigns and it has yet to fail to function as it should. It is a constant pocket companion and the hard chrome slide, after a year, still does not show any holster wear from the leather or cordura pocket holsters I swap out often.
My Kel Tec has proven itself worthy to carry in my pocket as well. I use an Uncle Mike's holster and it's very comfortable. A .380 is about as big as you will get and still have (1) pocket size (2) 6+1 rounds (3) ammo variety (4) reliability. A have a .357 Mag in my car, while it's greatly superior in firepower she no carry like a P3AT.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #10

I took a trip to Cabela's tonight, looking for some other stuff, and happened by the pistol counter. I am/was sort of eyeing the 'pocket pistols' for a future purchase. Well as it turns out, they had both the P3AT and the LCP. THe LCP looked and felt to be a better built piece. They only had one (other than the display unit) so I bit. I also bought their last two mags. Range report will commence as soon as I collect a bigger variety of ammo.