Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Lcp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/lcp-29609/)

Rick1967 07-23-2010 12:59 PM

Lcp

I took my friend out to the range last evening. We waited for it to cool off. It has been around 100 every day this week. The sun had gone behind the mountains, but it was still plenty light out to be safe. He brought an LCP that he had purchased for his wife. We were just trying it out. Nice shooting for such a light little gun. But, what a muzzle flash it has! I would hate to have to fire one in a dark room. I think you had better get the job done on the first shot. Everyone in the room would be blind for a couple of minutes. He did have some failure to feed issues with the initial charging of the weapon. At first I thought maybe the magazine was not all the way in. But after a few mags it seemed to take care of itself.

Fleetman 07-23-2010 04:12 PM

What ammo were you using? I have a LCP w/CT that I carry when my dress code requires something smaller than normal. Nice, light pistol. I have never noticed a muzzle flash however and I have fired it in near-dark....I guess some brands of ammo generate a greater flash. Mine has only balked at +P ammo (not recommended by Ruger) but no failures of any kind with standard pressure ammo after approximately 400 rounds.

billdeserthills 07-23-2010 05:29 PM

Gee I thought +p ammo was OK to shoot in the magical LCP
My advice is to get a new Kel-Tec .380, Mine shoots great, not that I had any issues with the old Kel-Tec (Gen 1), not until my local police decided it needed their attentions to break it. I still can't see why people want a copy of a real gun, me, I'll take the real one- Kel-Tec.

canebrake 07-23-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 319212)
But, what a muzzle flash it has! I would hate to have to fire one in a dark room. I think you had better get the job done on the first shot. Everyone in the room would be blind for a couple of minutes.

I'll bet it was MagTech ammo. That stuff is like a Pink Floyd concert when the light dims!

And yes, +P is not recommended in the LCP. Thing is if the box is marked +P check the ballistics, I think you will find little difference between .380 and .380 +P. (Except something like Buffalo Bore.)

I would not hesitate carrying +P but I would limit it's use.

Rick1967 07-23-2010 10:22 PM

I was under the impression that there is no such thing as real .380 +p. It is simply a gimick that ammo manufacturers use. +P is suposed to be to differentiate between old and new standards. That is the way I understand it anyway.

Fleetman 07-24-2010 01:06 AM

I like the Keltec P3AT also and carry it as my "working-around-the-house gun"....it too has never failed me.

ET1 07-26-2010 04:28 PM

I wanted the LCP but couldn't find it in Stainless when I was buying. I ended up with the TCP & I wouldn't shoot +p ammo in it either. I haven't shot it at night so I couldn't comment on the muzzle flash. I would think that with such a short barrel that it is there though. I wonder if they make the low flash ammo for the .380...bet they do. Probably even harder to find than the hardball ammo.

billdeserthills 07-27-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 319452)
I was under the impression that there is no such thing as real .380 +p. It is simply a gimick that ammo manufacturers use. +P is suposed to be to differentiate between old and new standards. That is the way I understand it anyway.

I really think you are mistaken, I know that when I restock ammo for my gun store many manufacturers stamp +P on some ammo, yet not on all their ammo
I'm sure there is a real good reason why the +P is on the box.

canebrake 07-28-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 319452)

Here's the scoop:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/demystifying-p-18345/