LC9 vs PF9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > LC9 vs PF9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts

Default LC9 vs PF9

What are your thoughts? I know the PF9 is a little cheaper which appeals to me, but I would like to know about your experiences particularly with the LC9.
Thanks!
BTW, this would be for ccw.

Last edited by Hectocotylus; 03-29-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Not familiar with the first one but my brother has lc9. It's a nice little gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

My LC9 is my everyday carry. The only times I have had a problem with it is a few FTF with some cheapo reloads from the local range. Other than that its perfect. Never had a chance to shoot the PF9 tho.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #4

LC9 and the PF9 are pretty much the same firearm. Only difference is Ruger put in a bunch of crazy safety features, made it with no sharp edges, different extractor, different trigger pull, and no rail. Some have called the LC9 a firearm for dummies, a sell out firearm, or a copy of the PF9. Kel Tec also offers a +1 magazine extension for its firearm which I found to be a great add.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

And it has exploded in sales. Some people feel better with extra safety.

Good luck finding a pf9. Keltec never seems to make enough of any of their firearms save for the pf11.

pf9 seems to be love / hate. Although more lovers than haters.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I own both and much prefer the LC9 it has a better trigger pull slimmer grip decent sights and just nicer finish overall.
It accepts the LaseLyte side mounted laser which fits easily into your existing holster.
As for "a bunch of crazy safety features" it does have a safety but its unobtrusive and highly unlikely you would ever snick it on accidentally
if you don't require a safety don't use it.
My PF9 shoots very low has poor sights and I do understand its intended purpose is for How Do You Do ranges but I still much prefer the Ruger.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #7

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I have the LC9 and it is my everyday cc gun. Shoots well, though it may take a few rounds to get used to the long trigger pull.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I had the PF9 and got rid of it. Look at the Kahr CM9 if you want a comparison to the LC9.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
As for "a bunch of crazy safety features" it does have a safety but its unobtrusive and highly unlikely you would ever snick it on accidentally if you don't require a safety don't use it.
My PF9 shoots very low has poor sights .

Not going to disagree but please don't quote me and then say don't use the safeties if you don't want to. What makes your point invalid is some of the safeties are made to be functioning all the time. The lci sticks up...that's just what I want my assailant to know if my firearm is loaded or out of ammunition, if it gets snagged on something, or some other unforeseen problem...I understand this probably has not happened (yet) but its left out in the open to happen. Could have been better like on the LCP. The magazine disconnect...for a personal defense firearm that's a big no for a lot of people. These are on all the time and there is no accidentally activating them. With the internal locks, they are just another problem waiting to happen imo. S&W has these and had problems with them in the past. I have not heard of it happening to any LC9s yet. What is the chance of misplacing the key when its locked? Depends on the person but how many times have people lost their keys to their car?....or the remote to the tv? lol. This is something that's easily remedied if the key is left in the safe.
I find the PF9 sights just fine and perfect for concealed carry with the trigger pull better than the LC9. I will say the LC9 has a smoother finish and looks nicer than the PF9 but both shoot the same imo. I have had the PF9 for over 5 years and problem free, shoots great, a rugged looking tough little firearm with great customer service. Not going to say every PF9 is like mine or every LC9 or CM9 is going to be like mine either. There are some (from all manufactures) that have had small problems. PF9s can be found around the net and in my state they are at the gun stores...but I guess it all depends on where you live for the availability and people buying them up. They should sell faster now seeing that in the Fla incident one was used. Always happens...one i.e.: Az when the Glock 19 was used with a 33 round magazine, both were flying off the shelves...but we'll see. If you find the "bunch of crazy safety features" to your liking, well its speaks for itself. The LC9 is a good firearm from a very good company no doubt, but the LC9 a not for everyone and neither is the PF9. They are pretty much equal but in my book with the PF9 edging out just a bit. To each his own others will say different. The Kahr CM9 is also a very nice firearm to look at and should be considered if looking for a pocket/sub compact 9mm. Look to you tube for video reviews on these, may help in your looking.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
The Kahr CM9 is also a very nice firearm to look at and should be considered if looking for a pocket/sub compact 9mm. Look to you tube for video reviews on these, may help in your looking.
This is what I chose to go with. It's a nice subcompact, small enough for me to conceal and does not kick like a mule. Not a fun range gun but perfect to serve the purpose for which I bought it