Laser Sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Laser Sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Laser Sights

When I bought my Ruger SR9, it came with a 50% off coupon for a Viridian Green Laser Sight. I've been thinking of ordering it.

I have to say that when I seriously started practice shooting, I was disappointed in the gun's sights. Not just the SR9, but any gun's sights. As a novice, I didn't know that you lined up the sights and then just had to know your target was half an inch under them.

So, I've determined that I feel more comfortable - how did my husband put it - combat shooting, I think. Where I just point and aim. I seem to be pretty good at it. I guess I'm whining here because I wish there was a more accurate way of sighting my target. That's why I'm thinking of getting this Viridian green laser. My question now is - if I keep on practicing my combat shooting style, will putting a laser on my pistol mess that up for me? I think what I'm worried about is that I'm just buying this laser for the cool factor. Will it really be useful to me, or should I stick with point and shoot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #2

I had the lasermax in my glock (replaces the recoil rod) and I liked it. I never really used it much. I have guns set up for both target shooting, combat shooting and I'm working on a race gun. The one thing I have found is that the laser works amazing in low light situations and is a great scare tactic. When someone notices a laser being pointed at them even if its just a laser pointer it makes them uneasy untill they figure out where its coming from. The scare tatic alone could be enough to stop the threat because it makes them think that this is the real deal. But if I where you I would keep working on the point and shoot method and then once you get the laser you can work with that as well. I don't think either one of them will mess you up shooting wise. Just MAKE SURE not to get dependent on the laser

Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/viridian-green-laser-xd-xdm-15885/
Apparently one of the on-site vendors deals in those. They look good, but my next money is going for a target pistol (cz82).

Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/viridian-green-laser-xd-xdm-15885/
Apparently one of the on-site vendors deals in those. They look good, but my next money is going for a target pistol (cz82).
Yes, they are a bit pricey, but with my coupon I can get it for $150.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Crimson Trace for XD45 ACP

It does not state on the site, but the Crimson Trace will not work on an XD that has the thumb safety. I just had to send one back, It does not say any where on their site that it will not work on an XD with the thumb safety. When you try to put the grip on, it engages the thumb safety, thought at first, just notch it a little, but on the rt side, that is where the laser is. They are sending one for the rail that is green, about 50.00 cheaper also.

Layton

Last edited by layton; 07-24-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To be honest laser sights are a great tool
For those that shoot well with open sights
If you can't manage the sights on your firearm
Laser sights will not help you
You have to learn and understand the basic sites before advance sites will assist you
Save your money and spend it on instruction
Master those and if your like me add a laser sight as a second option

I like the second option but rely on the first option my gun sights

delete-file-017.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 07-24-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. I think I will just continue to practice. I think I was just very confused because I didn't know pistol sights were not like those crosshair sights on a rifle. Just never thought of it. My sights are adjustable and I think I'll play around with them to see what I can get used to.

My husband also said that most shooting instances will be within 8 - 10 feet anyway, so the sighting is really not that important. But, at the risk of sounding like a complete moron on a forum proliferated with experienced men, I'll say that the sighting thing fascinates me now and I'd like to try and master it even though I find it difficult. I hope I can discuss this here. I really like having a gun(s) around. And there are really no girly forums on the subject as far as I know.

But is that right, that when you've lined something up in your sight, you have to just know (according to whichever pistol you're using) that the target is a half an inch or whatever below where you've lined up your sight?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, on my XD, it said to line the top front sight with the top back sight and that is where it is supposed to hit, mine does, If you line the front dot up with the bottom sight, it will hit low.

Layton

Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #9

I'm not much for lasers, definitely prefer sights.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
It does not state on the site, but the Crimson Trace will not work on an XD that has the thumb safety. They are sending one for the rail that is green, about 50.00 cheaper also.

Layton
Post a pic if you get a chance; that is the option i'm considering for a lil help incase of a suprise low-light confrontation (assuming i can't get to the Mossy).

Tags
laser combat shooting