Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Kydex holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/kydex-holster-50729/)

crackshot 10-28-2011 05:11 PM

Kydex holster

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a nylon holster for my P250 and didn't like it much. The thumb break was too loose. So, I made one out of Kydex to use for my range gun and it turned out pretty good!

I actually tightened the bend so it's a bit more snug.

I can fast draw!

crackshot 10-28-2011 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man, I am chunky! :). But I'm a well armed chunky guy.

MrWray 10-28-2011 06:46 PM

Thats not a bad looking holster for being homeade, does it have any retention to it?

crackshot 10-28-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray
Thats not a bad looking holster for being homeade, does it have any retention to it?

Thanks! It has 2 retention screws on the front end. it's all one piece which is convenient. I gave a couple left over pieces I'm going to make mag holders with.

MrWray 10-28-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackshot

Thanks! It has 2 retention screws on the front end. it's all one piece which is convenient. I gave a couple left over pieces I'm going to make mag holders with.

Thats pretty sweet, i didnt even know that you could buy the kydex and even make your own holsters until i joined here.

canebrake 10-28-2011 10:07 PM

Not too shabby!

You goin' into business? :D

crackshot 10-29-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
Not too shabby!

You goin' into business? :D

Well, a friend of mine works at Gander Mountain and he seems to think there's a market for it, but the downside is we would need to "borrow" the handgun for at least 4 hours to fit it correctly. I think if we kept it local it might be possible.

When I look at Kydex holsters available for sale for upwards of $50, and I can make one for $15-20, the potential is there.

Jeff56 10-29-2011 05:07 PM

I've thought about doing the same thing except I'd like to attach Kydex to some leather to make for a softer finish against the person. Working with Kydex is actually pretty easy and attaching it to leather isn't hard either. Like you said, getting access to different handguns would be the hardest part. It would almost require having one around to work from to make a pattern. I haven't been able to figure out how to make a pattern piece unless someone could carve one. My brother can carve anything but it would take him a lot of hours to do every gun he worked on. It would almost be cheaper just to buy the guns especially since it would be hard to make a pattern gun the exact right size.

crackshot 10-30-2011 02:13 PM

Well the biggest downfall to any business is getting too big too quickly. Keeping it local is best, hand gun by hand gun. Carving them from wood would be quite an undertaking and I applaud you if you decide to that route. Besides, there's nothing wrong with making molds from the variety of guns you use and keep them in storage.

griffin81 10-30-2011 02:55 PM

I would recommend looking into plastic training guns u can get a lot of makes and models for cheep they would stand up to heat and moisture if u decided to start doing leather work too. Look on the web u should be able to find them

play the victim, be the victim