Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimbers, best looking guns in world?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kimbers, best looking guns in world?

I know kimber has a bad habit of making gun with too high of precision, which can make them jam, as opposed to a gun that will eat anything, but I can't seem to think of a single manufacture who comes close to their style. Any ideas or counter argument?

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #2

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I have a Kimber Stainless II and I like it a lot. The gun runs dependably and is quite accurate for a "non accurized" .45 ACP pistol. But I wouldn't go as far as to call them "The best looking guns in the world", or say they are of the "highest precision", or use words to that effect. Kimber is one of many 1911 manufacturers who puts out a good, competitive product that is aimed at the middle income 1911 shooter.

I keep hearing how "their quality is slipping", but I regard that as just as much Internet hearsay, because I've not seen any evidence of it. 1911's have to be built correctly to run right. I think Kimber gets this done as much as most any other manufacturer does in it's price class like Springfield, S&W, Colt, or some of the lesser Dan Wesson models.

My personal taste runs more in line with Springfield, of which I have 5, than it does Kimber of which I have only one. But again, 1911's are probably more personal than most guns, with more people having brand opinions and preferences than most any other weapon other than AR-15's. Some are even in a love it or hate it class. Rock Island Armory, and the new Remington guns seem to fall into that category. People seem to either swear by them or at them, with not much wiggle room in between. I like most all 1911's except for the external extractor models like Sig and S&W. That too is a personal preference choice as there is nothing "wrong" with either.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally I think the Colt Python is the most beautiful handgun ever made. Followed in a close second by the S&W Model 29.

Kimber makes a beautiful 1911 but I still prefer a Colt.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #4

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The early years of kimber some fine shooters were made. After it was sold its become a production company. Better than some ,not as good as other. Just another mid range 1911 today.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
I have a Kimber Stainless II and I like it a lot. The gun runs dependably and is quite accurate for a "non accurized" .45 ACP pistol. But I wouldn't go as far as to call them "The best looking guns in the world", or say they are of the "highest precision", or use words to that effect. Kimber is one of many 1911 manufacturers who puts out a good, competitive product that is aimed at the middle income 1911 shooter.

I keep hearing how "their quality is slipping", but I regard that as just as much Internet hearsay, because I've not seen any evidence of it. 1911's have to be built correctly to run right. I think Kimber gets this done as much as most any other manufacturer does in it's price class like Springfield, S&W, Colt, or some of the lesser Dan Wesson models.

My personal taste runs more in line with Springfield, of which I have 5, than it does Kimber of which I have only one. But again, 1911's are probably more personal than most guns, with more people having brand opinions and preferences than most any other weapon other than AR-15's. Some are even in a love it or hate it class. Rock Island Armory, and the new Remington guns seem to fall into that category. People seem to either swear by them or at them, with not much wiggle room in between. I like most all 1911's except for the external extractor models like Sig and S&W. That too is a personal preference choice as there is nothing "wrong" with either.
I'm not saying they're accurate, I'm just saying they make some of them them in such a way that they won't accept low grade ammo.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And I honestly think that in terms of appearance, I haven't seen many manufacturers who consistently put out such good looking guns. Even the high end 1911 makers can't seem to make as good a looking gun. If you can name a company that does this, be my guest.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
And I honestly think that in terms of appearance, I haven't seen many manufacturers who consistently put out such good looking guns. Even the high end 1911 makers can't seem to make as good a looking gun. If you can name a company that does this, be my guest.
It all depends on what you call "good looking"? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that looks are a personal thing. For example I can't stand those "scalloped" cocking serrations, and "Rattlesnake" textured grips, while others love them. Some love 2 tone guns, (blued slide / Stainless frame), others hate them. Arched backstraps, "Bobtail" frames, (like the Ed Brown Kobra Carry Model), checkered frontstraps, are all personal touches that some prefer while others don't. Any of these features can be applied to guns by any current 1911 manufacturer just as well as they can be by Kimber. It's if the individual wants them or not that matters. That is strictly personal taste.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Lord help us all!

facepalm-rage-face-i13.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Now i love my kimber, couldn't be happier with it, but as much as i like it's appearance (trademark excessive finish wear not withstanding) i certainly wouldn't call it the best looking. And as far as the high precision craftsmanship goes, trust me, there are much more precisely built 1911s out there.

But like i said i love my kimber, and if yours is the best looking to YOU, then good for you man.

Last edited by PlaysWithZombies; 05-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Guns are personal. Some guys get more upset if you call their gun ugly, than if you say the same about their wife.