Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber Solo Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber Solo Carry

I’m a new forum member and I’m posting this for folks interested in the performance of the Kimber Solo Carry. My wife and I saw the “display/prototype” Kimber Solo in late January and I got on the waiting list (first sign-up). I already had a Kahr PM9 and was not in the market for a CC but my wife was in the market and wanted the Solo after she held it in her hand. We picked up the Solo in early March and it was a disappointment from the get go. The Solo appears to be of excellent quality (mechanically) and it’s a beauty but hers (serial # S1101711) is far from reliable. Below you will find the complete history of the pistol. I will be sending it back tomorrow (5/10/11) with the hope that Kimber gives me a refund instead of “repairing” it or replacing it with a new one. I did include a note with the pistol that I prefer a new pistol or a refund.

The Solo looks like a really nice piece and if Kimber can make it as reliable as the PM9 then they will have a winner; I really hope so since so many people want that type of pistol. It’s a tad larger then the PM9 and it has a nice feel while being a bit gentler on recoil; of course this might have to do with the shooter’s hand size, grip, etc. At this point I have to say that the PM9 works (even with target ammo) while the Solo does not. ** Note to anybody interested in a small/concealed pistol: don’t shy away because you think the recoil will be punishing – it will not as long as you don’t have problems with you hand/wrist/etc. – they can be very fun to shoot, even if you're a small frame & slim person like I am – you will be able to shoot a small 9MM with one hand without any pain and you will have fun with it.

MY WIFE’S KIMBER SOLO HISTORY (serial # S1101711):

Big Picture:
Can not get through more than one clip (6 rounds) without a problem (double feed, jam, FTE, etc.) It seems to like Winchester white box more than any of the others, including the Personal Defense ammo.

3/13/11:
39 Federal HYDRA-SHOK PERSONAL DEFENSE JHP (124G) + 16 REM FMJ (target)

3/20/11:
20 Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 147 gr + 25 Rem Golden Saber 124 gr + 25 Rem Golden Saber 147 gr + 32 Rem FMJ (target)

3/27/11:
3 Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 147gr + 85 Winchester JHP 115gr (white box - target)

4/3/11:
20 Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 147 gr + 25 Rem Golden Saber 124 gr + 4 REM Target (115gr FMJ) + 8 Winchester Target 115gr FMJ

4/12/11:
RETURNED TO KIMBER FOR REWORK - SLIDE AND MAG REPLACED - RECEIVED BACK ON 4/21/11

4/23/11:
25 REM GOLDEN SABER 147g JHP + 20 WINCH ELITE PDXI 147g JHP + 79 REM TARGET (GREEN BOX)

4/30/11:
50 Amer Eagle 147gr FMJ + 12 PMC Bronze 115gr FMJ + 3 Winchester supreme Elte Bonded PDX1 147gr (SEND BACK TO KIMBER)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Man that's a disappointment.. Thank you for posting that, I have been on the lookout for one of those since I laid eyes on one. I guess I will wait and see what happens. Please keep us posted

Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Default Quick Update - Does not go BANG

I forgot to add that the last time at the range (4/30) that the Solo stopped going BANG - firing pin?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Default Kimber solo

My Solo is on it's way back. Kimber hopefully has fixed my FTE problem. Thought at 120 rounds it was fixed. However, at 500 rounds it came roaring back. About the only reliable ammo was 147 grain.
Love the gun, but hate the problems.
Will repost with an update.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #5

Default Update - kimber Solo Carry

received a call from Kimber today, they gave me the option of replacing the Solo or a refund (good for Kimber for standing behind their products), wife prefers a replacement - Kimber stated that the availability of a replacement is not known at this time - they will give me a refund if they feel that the lead time is not to their acceptance (fair enough)

I'm hoping that they get it right re their production runs meeting their business model. My guess is that one day the Solo will serve the concealed carry community very well.

Regarding the stainless version: their rep told me that they have not scheduled them for production yet and that no delivery date can be announced. I (me, not my wife) am on the waiting list for the stainless model and will gladly take it if the current model proves itself.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #6

Default Kimber Replacement

Sigh. Kimber has replaced my Solo. Fast turn around once the called so there doesn't seem to be a waiting list to get a replacement.
My issue now is to break the gun in and see, or just trade it as new.sadly, none of the other new ones seem to fit that well.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I had the opportunity to speak with some folks who got ahold of a Solo and ran it through its paces recently. I learned a critical factor that I hadn't yet heard much about.

Apparently the Kimber Solo Carry is designed specifically for +P ammunition...so much so that +P is recommended exclusively, even at the range for proper function. Hadn't heard that before. That doesn't seem terribly practical, but just some info for those who are having some issues.

They said the Solo ran flawlessly on +P, while struggling to digest the tamer stuff. They also mentioned outstanding accuracy and trigger, but terrible grips for handling the power to weight ratio.

If you have a Solo, check the box/manual/paperwork...supposedly there is a statement that it's designed exclusively for +P ammuniton.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #8

Default Solo ammo

Kimber doesn't limit the Solo to +p ammo. The FAQ from Kimber lists a number of brands an weights that "should work" Believe me I tried most of them trying to get the gun to work.
Lawman®, 9mm LUGER, 124 gr., FMJ (53616)
GoldOot®, 9mm LUGER, 115 gr., JHP (23614)*
GoldOot®, 9mm LUGER, 124 gr., JHP (23618)*
GoldOot®, 9mm LUGER, 147 gr., JHP (23619)*

Winchester”l:
USA, 9mm LUGER, 124gr., FMJ (USA9MM)*
USA, 9mm LUGER, 115gr., JHP (USA9JHP)*
Supreme EliteTM, 9mm LUGER, 147gr., Bonded PDX1 JHP
(S9MMPDB1)

*Preferred – These loads worked the best in our testing. This is not intended to be an exclusive list and your results or preferences may vary. Please check Kimber America | Fine 1911 Pistols and Rifles for periodic updates to this list.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It's a kimber, you should have gotten a Glock, Springfield, or Sig, they feed, shoot good, and feel good.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is disappointing. I was really thinking about one of these.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!