Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber solo 9mm vs springfield armory 9mm subcompact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber solo 9mm vs springfield armory 9mm subcompact

I'm trying to figure out which one I want but not for sure.. I'm gonna use it as a ccw... What do yall think I should go with need opinions on both guns...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Which Springfield are you referring to? XD? XDm? EMP?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Xd 9mm subcompact

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnelting21
Xd 9mm subcompact
I'm a fan of Kimber...own 2 1911's. That said, the solo is brand new...some problems as I understand that are still being worked out. The XD9 sub is proven, and half the cost.

For your purposes, I'd go with the SAXD. I have one of them also, and have zero complaints.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

The solo has the long steady DAO pull of a revolver while the SA or at least the XDM,line has a short reset trigger. Two different animals and both have their champions.

Go to a range and get the opportunity to fire both. (best way to avoid buyers remorse) Kahr & Ruger are also viable alternatives. I've seen PM 9 on sale recently for under $600 @ Gunsamerica.

Do you need an external safety ? Night sights ? Is weight or capacity an issue ? Is this decision budget driven? ( X < $500 or $1000 etc.)

Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Springfield for sure!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If the choice is between the Kimber or a Springfield I would get the Springfield hands down. Don't forget to take customer service and warranty into account when buying a gun. Springfield has a great warranty (lifetime) and stands behind their product with great customer service.
From what I have read on numerous forums Kimbers customer service is not that great and they only give you a one year warranty on their gun. If you have a problem after that it is on you. This would make a HUGE difference for me.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #8

I want a external safety cuz I have a son... And it's for conceal and carry I have a budget of 900

Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty
If the choice is between the Kimber or a Springfield I would get the Springfield hands down. Don't forget to take customer service and warranty into account when buying a gun. Springfield has a great warranty (lifetime) and stands behind their product with great customer service.
From what I have read on numerous forums Kimbers customer service is not that great and they only give you a one year warranty on their gun. If you have a problem after that it is on you. This would make a HUGE difference for me.
Not discounting what you say, but I've never used customer service or warranty for ANY gun I own. And I own MANY guns. Never even considered to ask about a warranty.

I own two Kimbers, as well as a SAXD. They are all fine weapons.

I do understand however, that others feel differently and I understand and respect y'alls POV...

Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

First of all, you are comparing apples and oranges. The new Solo is meant to be a pocket gun. The XD subcompact is definitely NOT a pocket gun. Bigger. Bulkier. Heavier.

Having said that, I've never fired a Solo, but I'd have two concerns which would make me choose the Springfield. One, Kimber has a reputation for spotty quality control of late, which Springfield does not. Also, Gun Tests Magazine gave the Solo a relatively low grade. One thing they didn't like was the comfort level, or lack of therein. They complained of harsh recoil, magnified by an uncomfortable grip. One tester refused to continue after the gun made his hand bleed. By comparison, my Kahr CM9, which is the same size as the solo, is very comfortable to shoot. I can put a box of 50 rounds through my Kahr, non stop, and not even have a sore hand.

But again, they are very different guns, designed for a different purpose. Keep that in mind.