Kimber quality - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Having bought/traded for my Kimber used warranty never crossed my mind.. Also considering I traded a Gen 3 G19 for mine I didn't get in at the same price point as some others..
I couldn't ever see myself spending 1K for any hand gun.. Unless I won the lottery or something.. I have far to many hobbies and Kimbers, Colts, Springfield's and Glocks can all be bought at deals VS spending new money, getting that bad Ruger brand new taught me my lesson.

I can understand the arguments about materials used for MSH etc, honestly the first time I did a through break down I was surprised to find mine was plastic, other then cost my initial though was weight and balance..

Besides the earlier mentioned hearsay, anyone have any pictures or links where these 'inferior' parts failing?
I'm not defending the use of these parts, just curious.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Having bought/traded for my Kimber used warranty never crossed my mind..
Many warranties in the business (Taurus actually comes to mind) follows the pistol; owner makes no difference.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Wouldn't own any other and have shot many 1911....Buyer's choice.

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977
deadsp0t Likes This 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #44

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Not that I tried to find out exactly how many MIM parts my Ed Brown has, but it does have a metal MSH.
There's a pretty good price difference between a Kimber and a EB though.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #45

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
There's a pretty good price difference between a Kimber and a EB though.
Yup.. Kimber has a fairly high price point but far from being atop the list.. :idea:

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #46

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

well Olympus, i have seen he work you put into your grips that you make. simply beautiful and amazing work and craftsmanship. you also charge a bit for them, and they look to be worth what you ae asking. now if i ordered a set of your finely crafted grips and got some plastic Ergo grips instead, i'd more than likely be a little disappointed.

if Kimbers were priced a little bit less, came with a better warranty, i think that some would have less a problem with them using some of the materials they use when they make their pistols. it's not just about the materials, but the cost point and the warranty period that some have a problem with. it is why i would never buy a Kimber 1911 brand new.
I understand your point. I agree with the warranty aspect. Kimber is by far the most strict with their warranty and I see no reason for that.

I guess I also see the point about price vs materials up to a certain point. That point being the high end Kimber models. But the 2 Stainless Targets I have were both under $1k and I've had several other brands to compare them to and I found nothing so far that I would consider inferior to other brands with models in the $1k range. Now if you're talking a Grand Raptor model, then I will certainly agree that there are better options elsewhere for the money, especially concerning materials and warranty.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think Kimber makes a nice looking gun, but when I can buy a Colt for the same price or a little more, its a no brainer.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 10-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #48

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

No problems with the quality of the Kimber I own $725 I think I paid. It's their Custom II.

image-1621762484.jpg

It does keep the company if a few Rugers though. Haven't needed the warranty on any of them so my perspective is just that. My next 1911 probably will not be Kimber but I have been pleased with mine. For me, stock Kimber magazines have always functioned. There are lots of options out there but Kimber isn't the bottom of the pile in fit or finish.

image-1149961241.jpg

Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #49

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I own three Kimbers. The first one I bought about 10 years ago had an external extractor. I had problems with that gun so I sent it to Kimber who fixed the gun. Customer service was perfectly fine. After the gun was fixed I've never had another issue. Kimber has long since changed to an internal extractor.

I bought an Ultra CDP in 2007. The gun has been flawless from the start. I use it as my daily carry gun. It is accurate and reliable. I haven't had a single malfunction with the gun.

In January of this year I bought a Tactical Entry and my shooting buddy bought a Raptor. We both shot 1200 rounds through our guns before we even cleaned the them. We are now up to 2000 rounds without a single malfunction on either gun.

In my opinion this Kimber bashing is ridiculous. They are perfectly fine guns. If you don't like them fine. Don't buy one.

Last edited by Max-Q; 10-07-2013 at 06:26 AM.