Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

People beat the MIM horse to death. MIM had been used in the aviation and aerospace industry for many years. It's more than proven itself as a perfectly viable production method.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20058 Times on 11409 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
People beat the MIM horse to death. MIM had been used in the aviation and aerospace industry for many years. It's more than proven itself as a perfectly viable production method.
i can agree with that. it's not the process of MIM, but how well it's done. MIM is no different than any other manufactering process. anything can fail if not manufactered properly, and that includes parts made with the MIM process.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #33
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Last year sometime, I posted a thread asking for pics of MIM pieces that broke through normal usage.

To date, all I have heard was "A friend of a friend had one break", but no pics were posted.

So MIM parts used in Kimbers is not the question.
The question is why do Kimbers cost much as others and don't provide the same warranty.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Last year sometime, I posted a thread asking for pics of MIM pieces that broke through normal usage.

To date, all I have heard was "A friend of a friend had one break", but no pics were posted.

So MIM parts used in Kimbers is not the question.
The question is why do Kimbers cost much as others and don't provide the same warranty.
much more of that internet hearsay if you ask me!

but one thing i will address is this. i kind of expect my MetroArms American Classic to have MIM parts, (and it does) but at the price point of the Kimberi expect a litlle better. not because MIM parts are known to be inferior, but because of the price i expect much better. now if Kimber wants to use MIM parts in their pistols, (which are cheaper to produce that their counterparts in ssteel) then the price of the Kimber should reflect that like the RIA and the MetroArms pistols. just my thoughts on this.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #35

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I've got four Kimbers.....a stainless target 9mm,an Eclipse in 10mm,a Custom Compact in 45,and a TLE converted to 460 Rowland....have never needed a warranty...they run like champs!All this talk of poor quality,MIM,1yr.warrantitus...I don't understand.Some of ya must just live under a dark cloud or something.......

Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
much more of that internet hearsay if you ask me!

but one thing i will address is this. i kind of expect my MetroArms American Classic to have MIM parts, (and it does) but at the price point of the Kimberi expect a litlle better. not because MIM parts are known to be inferior, but because of the price i expect much better. now if Kimber wants to use MIM parts in their pistols, (which are cheaper to produce that their counterparts in ssteel) then the price of the Kimber should reflect that like the RIA and the MetroArms pistols. just my thoughts on this.
+1.
It's not that Kimber = bad, it's that there are a number of items that take away from the value. MIM parts & plastic bits in and of themselves are not bad. But it's like buying an sparkly new Cadillac and recognizing way too many parts from the Chevy Sonic the neighbor's kid drives. Sure they work, but when you spend Cadillac money, you want the extra money you spent to show in the final product. Otherwise, why bother?
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
+1.
It's not that Kimber = bad, it's that there are a number of items that take away from the value. MIM parts & plastic bits in and of themselves are not bad. But it's like buying an sparkly new Cadillac and recognizing way too many parts from the Chevy Sonic the neighbor's kid drives. Sure they work, but when you spend Cadillac money, you want the extra money you spent to show in the final product. Otherwise, why bother?
thank you for understanding! my point exactly. if i spend a certain amount of money for an item, i expect a certain amount of quality. why buy spend the money on a Cadillac, when for much less, you can buy an Impala and have the same level of quality.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #38

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
+1.
The only plastic on Kimbers are the MSHs. Just about every other manufacturer uses plastic MSHs also, including Colt. And the same can be said for manufacturers that also use MIM parts. Kimber is not the only offender, but they get the brunt of the negativity while everyone else gets a pass.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #39
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Not that I tried to find out exactly how many MIM parts my Ed Brown has, but it does have a metal MSH.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
The only plastic on Kimbers are the MSHs. Just about every other manufacturer uses plastic MSHs also, including Colt. And the same can be said for manufacturers that also use MIM parts. Kimber is not the only offender, but they get the brunt of the negativity while everyone else gets a pass.
well Olympus, i have seen he work you put into your grips that you make. simply beautiful and amazing work and craftsmanship. you also charge a bit for them, and they look to be worth what you ae asking. now if i ordered a set of your finely crafted grips and got some plastic Ergo grips instead, i'd more than likely be a little disappointed.

if Kimbers were priced a little bit less, came with a better warranty, i think that some would have less a problem with them using some of the materials they use when they make their pistols. it's not just about the materials, but the cost point and the warranty period that some have a problem with. it is why i would never buy a Kimber 1911 brand new.