Kimber quality - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

image-548387864.jpg

Same old arguments.. Most ppl who own them love them, ppl who don't own one justifying it because of the warranty..
Whatever, even high end 1911's get modified to suit the owners wants/needs and the warranties are toast then..
Blah.. Someone come up with a better argument then 'I herd this or that' and the warranty sucks.

To the ppl that own them that have had problems, I personally had issues with a a brand new Ruger semi auto(P345) and other ppl have had issues with ANY brand you can name. Guns are mass produced machines.. End of story.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #22

Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

I had a kimber pro carry 2 and it would not shoot a full mag without jamming. I sent it back to kimber 3 times before the fixed it. It turns out mine had a external extractor which was a junk design. So they put a new slide on it with the internal extractor and I put 200 rounds thru it and traded it on another brand 1911. I do not believe they are worth re $ that gun was $1100.00 and my Springfield Gi was $650 and I have never had a problem with it. Kimber told me I need Wilson combat mags to fix the problem. I asked if there mags weren't good enough to use in my kimber the guy was speechless.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Same old arguments.. Most ppl who own them love them, ppl who don't own one justifying it because of the warranty..
Whatever, even high end 1911's get modified to suit the owners wants/needs and the warranties are toast then..
For me, personally, I don't modify the internals on my guns at all. So there is no reason why my warranties should ever be voided.

It may be the "same old argument," but its a valid argument. For a shooter like me, who basically can't go out and buy every handgun he wants, I need to weigh every purchase heavily beforehand and the warranty is one of the things I look at.

Because, as you said, handguns are mass-produced machines. That means they can, and probably will, fail.

If you like Kimber, more power to you. Like I said, if they straightened up their warranty issues I would consider buying them. Until then, I'll let others buy the ones at my LGS.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3403 Times on 1950 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Not to start a MIM argument.

When Kimber first came out, they relied heavily on MIM. Some people are pleased with that.
Some people are pleased with the quality of the MIM in current Kimbers.

For my hard earned money, I want the best possible. And that includes warranty.

If one doesn't care about warranty, Kimber could be the correct purchase for a newby.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #25

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Warranty matters, as does customer service. Especially in the face of the perception (in some circles) that their quality has suffered due to their recent growth.
When Taurus, Rock Island and any number of other lower cost makers can offer a lifetime warranty, why exactly can't a premium brand like Kimber manage more than 1 year? It's a fair question that deserves an answer. I have a weakness for Dan Wessons, but IMHO, their 5 year Warranty is a somewhat disappointing considering their price point (which, FWIW, overlaps with the higher end Kimbers.)
Customer service...Kimber has developed a rep (fair or not) for spotty customer service. One guy will say he got nothing but love from them and another gets told that his warranty is voided because he put non-oem grip panels on it (both unsubstantiated I admit.) There are other stories as well. Simply put, fair or not, that big @$$ed question mark casting a shadow over the Kimber brand is something that needs to be at least acknowledged/considered before one puts their money on the table. What's frustrating is that this stuff could easily and quickly addressed by Kimber management.
As for MIM, I'm not a fan, but IMHO, it's not really a deal breaker on a sub $1k pistol. Above $1K however, buyers should expect higher end parts.
It's the plastic MSHs that would upset me more. I don't like them on any 1911. On a lower end pistol, I get it (don't like it, but I get it.) On a brand that purports to being premium, they simply don't belong.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #26

As stated before.. The points you guys make are valid, but not the end all.. Fact is, regardless of of the few unhappy owner, the fact that nearly everyone agrees they should have a much better warranty(including me), they still come in at a fairly high price point(nowhere near the top) and continue to sell guns and stay in business year after year.. If they were as bad as some of the over the top knee jerk reactions suggest, they'd be long since out of business..

DISCE PATI

People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
As stated before.. The points you guys make are valid, but not the end all.. Fact is, regardless of of the few unhappy owner, the fact that nearly everyone agrees they should have a much better warranty(including me), they still come in at a fairly high price point(nowhere near the top) and continue to sell guns and stay in business year after year.. If they were as bad as some of the over the top knee jerk reactions suggest, they'd be long since out of business..
well i will say this, even with their short warranty period, the price they sell their pistols at, they must be selling a buttload of them to afford the full page ads they put in magazines. people are buying their pistols. that's a fact.

on the MIM thing. MIM is only as good as the process used to make the parts. lots of pistols, and not just Kimber are using parts made by MIM. GM has been using internal engine parts made by the MIM process for quite a few years now with lots of success.
buckfynn Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Attachment 120001

Blah.. Someone come up with a better argument then 'I herd this or that' and the warranty sucks.

To the ppl that own them that have had problems, I personally had issues with a a brand new Ruger semi auto(P345) and other ppl have had issues with ANY brand you can name. Guns are mass produced machines.. End of story.
No, it's not the "end of story". When you get a defective gun you expect the factory to fix it. Didn't Ruger fix yours? Well, not only couldn't Kimber fix mine, they actually made it worse... twice. Every time they sent it back to me it had more problems than it went in with. They may make a pretty gun, but from my experience they don't know squat about fixing one.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #29

Liked 117 Times on 89 Posts

Kimber only offers a 1 year warranty, but do they stand behind their product like say ruger? Personally Ive seen many kimbers have to go back for service but all were within the first year. For that kind of money I hope they stand behind their product. I had a cheaper kimber that was great and they for sure make a beautiful 1911 with a great fan base so I guess they do something right

Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
No, it's not the "end of story". When you get a defective gun you expect the factory to fix it. Didn't Ruger fix yours? Well, not only couldn't Kimber fix mine, they actually made it worse... twice. Every time they sent it back to me it had more problems than it went in with. They may make a pretty gun, but from my experience they don't know squat about fixing one.
No, Ruger didn't fix that light striking POS..I didn't ask them too.. A friend of mine is Ruger guy, I explained the issue to him and he bought it.. Warranty or no, I simply didn't want to deal with it. I have no plans on ever buying another Ruger semi auto, but I also don't jump on EVERY thread I see about Rugers bashing them either :idea: For the record, everyone in my wife's family is all Ruger all the time, her grandfather retired from Ruger.

May not be the end of the story, but it's damn sure the same old story..

DISCE PATI