Kimber quality - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The Stainless Target models are some of the best sub-$1000 1911s on the market. I bought a used 9mm Stainless Target and liked it so much I bought a brand new 10mm in the same model for $950. The Schwartz safety is much better than those Series 80 designs.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #12

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have a Compact Stainless II. Lots of FTFs and FTEs for the first 1000 or so rounds. Had to polish the feed ramp and shave the slide stop. Now she runs like a freight train. I bought it after seeing a Kimber in my uncle's collection who is SERIOUS about collecting. He had an older model.

I have heard the older ones were much better quality wise. Having said all I said in the previous paragraph, I would not buy another one. I paid $800, but for a few more dollars I could have gotten a Colt. My next 1911 will probably be a Springfield Professional or TRP, but only a used one because of Springfield's current location.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21428 Times on 12162 Posts
Likes Given: 53408

the only way i would buy a Kimber, is if it was already out of warranty and the price was right to me. that way if there were any issues, i could pretty much do as i pleased without worrying about voiding the warranty.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #14

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I shot my 10mm today. Upped the recoil spring to 22lbs and replaced the factory sear spring with a lighter Cylinder and Slide sear spring. Shot like a dream!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I own a Kimber and have probably put 3000+ rounds through it in the last year or so with no problem.

Does it shoot great, you bet!

Are they expensive, yep.

As far as warranty and customer service goes, couldn't tell you cause I never have needed it.

I have heard a lot of the same comments about Kimber as you have and after doing some research have come to this theory/conclusion.
Kimber had a serious problem with quality control and customer service 8+ years ago. Quite a few bad eggs rolled off there line. Since then, from what I can tell, they have turned that around and make some great guns. However, as any professional in the world can tell you, reputations take a long time to regain once they have been tarnished.

As far as the warranty thing goes, with any quality gun you should never need it, but the Kimber company could certainly up theirs and gain quite a few more customers.

All being said, don't rule out some of the other companies. It is all about how much you want to spend and what you get for that money.

Adios partner

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 121 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 169

I really think the lower end offerings are a great buy, love my Stainless Compact. The higher end, not so much, the Super Carry had to go. Both were flawless in function, but for 1K+ there are better options.

And yes, the one year warranty sucks. They sure sell a bunch of pretty guns though.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #17

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
As I have been making my way around the forum...I noticed a few comments about poor quality coming from Kimber. I own two Kimbers and both have operated flawlessly for me.

I am considering getting a commander length .45 and would like to hear from the community...pros and cons and what manufacturer makes the best "value" in a 4" .45 auto, preferably not stainless steel?

A value buy would be a quality firearm, accurate and reliable, with a good warranty, with night sights for a median price or less. The gun would be a range gun, not SD....prior to reading the comments, Kimber would be a logical choice, but there has been some sharp criticisms of Kimber so I am rethinking...also, another brand might be in order anyways just to try something new.
I have owned a Kimber CPD for close to 10 years. It is the Commander size ( 4")
Very light weight ( around 31 oz), never have had a malfunction with it, and it is a joy to carry, due to the "bar of soap" bevel treatment. Shoots almost as good as the full size, full weight Government models I've owned. I had a Kimber Match but it was more of a range gun due to the size and weight. People that hate Kimbers seem to love their Springfields and Colts. I had nothing but bad luck over the years with Colts, but haven't had any experiences with Colts made recently. Springfields? I wasn't too impressed with the lower end models I saw and shot, but never handled their top end stuff. To each his own. Kimbers might seem overpriced to some, but almost all come fully equipped, night sights, etc. They don't make entry level and basic models.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
IMO, they build a very nice looking pistol. some people have very good luck with them, and some not so much. the two biggest detractors in why i wouldn't buy one, (at least never a new one) is the price and the one year warranty. there are too many others with much better warranties and at a better price than Kimber.
These are exactly my thoughts. I think every Kimber 1911 I've ever seen is gorgeous. They are works of art, IMO. I know the traditionalist 1911 crowd might not like them, but there are plenty of people that like the extras on them.

In terms of my experience with them. I have never owned or shot one. But I have read plenty of bad stories about them online.

For me, personally, I will not own one until they beef up their warranty, and maybe bring the price down a bit. Even my Taurus and Bersa offer lifetime warranties, and yes I've had to use them. The fact that Kimber doesn't is absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

I personally wouldn't even buy a revolver without a lifetime warranty. I'm not trying to start a revolver/semi debate, but wheel guns are known for being dependable and reliable (yes yes I know they can have issues develop too). Every handgun I will ever purchase will offer a lifetime warranty. It can just be too much of a headache if you end up needing it and you don't have it.

In summary, they're too expensive, with too mixed of a track record of having bad problems, with too limited a warranty, for me to even consider buying one.

Works of art aren't enough to justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
As far as warranty and customer service goes, couldn't tell you cause I never have needed it.
You may have never needed it, but a gun is a mechanical device which means it can fail. The warranty is nice to have as a "just in case."

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

You may have never needed it, but a gun is a mechanical device which means it can fail. The warranty is nice to have as a "just in case."
A warranty is worthless if the repairs department is clueless. I sent my Kimber back three times. Each time it came back it was in worse condition than when it went in. It was the only repair department I have ever dealt with that added defects.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #20

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Kimber builds some beautiful pistols,however i've read a lot of mixed reviews about their functioning?

For me the deal breaker's the 1 year warranty? Let's see a lifetime warranty and I may pay more attention to their products.

I went with Colt combat commander xse(stainless),it runs like a champ. I have nearly 500 rounds run through the commander,with no ftf or fte.