Kimber or glock - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kimber or glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Where did the OP say that a shotgun was considered? Keep shotguns out of this discussion.
Above is the reason I stay out of the forums. It would be nice to have a respectable conversation with fellow gun owners.

Someone asks: Would it be better to have the safety on or off when they look down the barrel of a loaded firearm. What would the answer be? Safety on or off?

Maybe the answer should be don't look down the barrel of a loaded gun, even if it's not one of the options provided.

Kimber / Glock are in such different categories that I would assume this is a fairly new gun owner and a broader guidance could be appreciated.

The shotgun is cheaper and a way better option if all you want is home defense.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #72

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf45 View Post
This is my home defense

Attachment 88247
Then my G20
Wow you have twice the primary HD that I have - I have a pair of Siberian Huskies. As for weapons I have a G22 and find it to be an amazing weapon in terms of reliability. But today I went to the range and rented a Kimber custom target II and I may have to rething things. With the Glock I have no problems hitting center mass, with the Kimber I could hit the center button on a shirt nine times out of ten - amazing weapon. I still think the Glock is probably a more reliable weapon. I am dying to find a Kimber Eclipse Target II now. My search starts now!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #73

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My Kimber malfunctioned a few times until about 400 rounds went through it and it was broken in . Accuracy is great : With Hornady XTP, expect about 1/2 " variation at 25 yards off a bench. Accuracy is also irrelevant in a home defense gun because combat accuracy is adequate in all quality guns . Kimber 1911s fit the hand well and have great triggers . The problems with all 1911s include getting gummy after 50 or so rounds are fired, so requiring frequent cleaning and generous lubrication , the chance of feeding problems with some hollow-points as the ramp system was originally designed for ball ammo , more felt recoil due to the high barrel line and metal frame and the chance of forgetting the safety lever under stress .
The Glocks seem most reliable in 9mm and the G17 is easy to grip and shoot . Glock triggers are lousy and must be ignored for accurate shooting : Pull through and make sure it is a surprise break . The feed is more direct, corrosion resistance is great, infrequent lubrication and cleaning won't cause jamming and years of police and military use have proven the Glock's reliability. Striker firing gives you a high rate of fire . Intrinsic accuracy rivals the Kimber but practical accuracy for most shooters lags behind .
Reliability is king. I'd go with the Glock......as a backup for your shotgun !

Safety Note : If you buy a Glock, use a holster to cover the trigger area, dry snap only at a sand bucket or stack of phone books even to prepare to field strip it. Keep your finger off of the trigger and up on the frame until ready to fire, reholster only after verifying your finger is off the trigger and do not point it at yourself during field stripping . This is good advice for all guns but critical for Glocks .

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #74
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 254 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop
My Kimber malfunctioned a few times until about 400 rounds went through it and it was broken in . Accuracy is great : With Hornady XTP, expect about 1/2 " variation at 25 yards off a bench. Accuracy is also irrelevant in a home defense gun because combat accuracy is adequate in all quality guns . Kimber 1911s fit the hand well and have great triggers . The problems with all 1911s include getting gummy after 50 or so rounds are fired, so requiring frequent cleaning and generous lubrication , the chance of feeding problems with some hollow-points as the ramp system was originally designed for ball ammo , more felt recoil due to the high barrel line and metal frame and the chance of forgetting the safety lever under stress .
The Glocks seem most reliable in 9mm and the G17 is easy to grip and shoot . Glock triggers are lousy and must be ignored for accurate shooting : Pull through and make sure it is a surprise break . The feed is more direct, corrosion resistance is great, infrequent lubrication and cleaning won't cause jamming and years of police and military use have proven the Glock's reliability. Striker firing gives you a high rate of fire . Intrinsic accuracy rivals the Kimber but practical accuracy for most shooters lags behind .
Reliability is king. I'd go with the Glock......as a backup for your shotgun !

Safety Note : If you buy a Glock, use a holster to cover the trigger area, dry snap only at a sand bucket or stack of phone books even to prepare to field strip it. Keep your finger off of the trigger and up on the frame until ready to fire, reholster only after verifying your finger is off the trigger and do not point it at yourself during field stripping . This is good advice for all guns but critical for Glocks .
Had to get the dig in huh? re: shotgun. grin

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #75

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster

Wow you have twice the primary HD that I have - I have a pair of Siberian Huskies. As for weapons I have a G22 and find it to be an amazing weapon in terms of reliability. But today I went to the range and rented a Kimber custom target II and I may have to rething things. With the Glock I have no problems hitting center mass, with the Kimber I could hit the center button on a shirt nine times out of ten - amazing weapon. I still think the Glock is probably a more reliable weapon. I am dying to find a Kimber Eclipse Target II now. My search starts now!!!
Kimber is a nice weapon I guess it's what you feel comfortable with I like my Glock bc of the reliability but like I said its what fits you the best Glock Kimber Sig S&W Taurus Springfield and so many more all make good weapons but for my I am a Glock person and we all ways be