KelTec problem...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > KelTec problem...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default KelTec problem...

I got mother a KelTec P-32 w/Bulldog holster for Christmas. Nice little setup... She loved it! It was a little stiff, so I took it to the range for a work-out. After about 15-20 rounds it locked up solid. This happened three times that session. Had to do some real brain-work to clear it. What happened was that while firing, the rounds got shaken enough to have the rim of the top round, fell behind the rim of the second round, locking things up solid. I first contacted the factory. They call it "Rimlock". Seems to be frequent enough to get a name. She went back, and I'm still waiting.
Before I sent it back, I decided to try another type of ammo. I got a box of FIOCCHI 32APHP 60gr. (a little longer)to replace the Speer 32Auto 60gr GDHP's.
They were long enough to not move back and forth in the mag. I ran off about half a box with no problem. Being happy I went to put things away. I dropped the mag, and racked to clear, but the round wouldn't clear the chamber! Looks like the Fiocchi's were too long?

Two problems in one gun.
Anybody else have problems with K-T's

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I had a KelTec P-32 and the hammer spring kept breaking. I sent it back to get fixed then sold it.
As far as the Rimlock, make sure you're using rimless cartridges for a semi-auto, not revolver.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Rimlock is common for many .32 autos, but usually only applies to hollow points because of the shorter OAL. There is a spacer available to go in the mag that holds the HPs forward in the mag. But, then you have to remove it to load FMJ rounds for the range, so many carry them with a HP in the chamber & the top round HP, then the rest are FMJ.

Normal turn around for Keltec repair is 4-5 weeks.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Roger that Ranger. You've got my attention. As per the instructions, 32 Auto. These are "Semi-Rimless" as were other 'off' calibers. Are you telling me that 32 Auto RIM_LESS are the ones to go with? I simply look for 32 AUTO, when I buy ammo. I've bought ammo on-line and in person. I don't think two people could make the same mistake. Have you got rimless rounds to chamber and shoot? Here's a part number for the ammo I am using. Tell me if you think this is improper.
Part NUmber#23604 - SPEER Gold-Dot, 32 Auto 60gr, GDHP

ARMY VET - DV - NRA Life Member - Holmesburg Fish & Game
Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Last edited by rab; 03-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well, gollygee Gollygee. Experts are never far away. Thank you all for now, and in the future.
Strange how 22's never had that problem. My GS says that the ''mouse-gun" should be back this week. Wonder what they changed.......

ARMY VET - DV - NRA Life Member - Holmesburg Fish & Game
Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Hello rab, I looked at SPEER-Dot and it looks like you have ACP cartridges; therefore, you should not be experiencing rimlock if you are loading the magazine correctly. I was shooting Federal 32 Auto JHP 65 grain P32HS1 and had no problems. If you have a micrometer or calipers measure the OVL of the cartridge, diameter of the case, and diameter of the rim. Just as a reference, the Federal cartridges I was shooting measured 0.897 OVL, case diameter measured 0.337, and rim diameter measured 0.354.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
Roger that Ranger. You've got my attention. As per the instructions, 32 Auto. These are "Semi-Rimless" as were other 'off' calibers. Are you telling me that 32 Auto RIM_LESS are the ones to go with? I simply look for 32 AUTO, when I buy ammo. I've bought ammo on-line and in person. I don't think two people could make the same mistake. Have you got rimless rounds to chamber and shoot? Here's a part number for the ammo I am using. Tell me if you think this is improper.
Part NUmber#23604 - SPEER Gold-Dot, 32 Auto 60gr, GDHP
Hi,
I hope the following can be helpful:

(1) All 7.65 Browning or .32 ACP ammunition is semi-rimmed. There is no such thing as rimless ammunition in this caliber.

(2) Some JHP 7.65 Browning or .32 ACP ammunition (e.g., Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Silver Tip) has a shorter overall length than the normal overall range of length from .94 (min) to .984 (max) inches (by SAAMI specs). [CORRECTION: The SAAMI specs for .32 Auto on the SAAMI website now state that the minimum length is .890. I presume the requirement of .940 min is an older requirement, since it can still be found on the website in the full-length SAAMI specs document, presumably published in 1993.] I believe these shorter cartridges, which were not once common, became common as a result of Seecamp's decision to design their gun around the shorter-length Silver Tip round.

(3) Any 7.65 Browning or .32 ACP ammunition which is shorter than about .940 can rim-lock in any magazine which is designed to allow for full length ammunition. (This means that a lower cartridge in the magazine can slide forward, ahead of a higher cartridge, far enough to prevent the higher cartridge from exiting the magazine.) Some magazines for guns in this caliber are designed to only handle shorter length cartridges (e.g., the Seecamp). Others are designed for the longer length rounds (e.g., Walther PP and PPK, Kel-Tec).

(4) There are three ways to avoid rim-lock if you own a .32 ACP gun with a magazine designed for full-length cartridges but you want to carry hollow points:

(a) You can install a spacer in the magazine (called a "flyer wire") which makes the magazine handle only the shorter-length rounds. (I believe this fix is available usually only for the Kel-Tec P32 magazine. It effectively transforms the magazine into a short-length-hollow-point-only magazine.)

(b) You can keep a short-length hollow point in the chamber (and you can also keep a short-length hollow point as the highest round in the magazine if you like, since rimlock is caused by a short-length, lower round sliding ahead of a higher round of whatever length), while keeping full-length rounds for all the other, lower rounds in the magazines.

(c) You can simply use hollow point ammunition which is long enough to avoid rim-lock. I've heard of only a few hollow point offerings which are .940+, including perhaps (I'm not sure however) the (i) Cor-Bon Pow'RBall 55 gr JHP (with a round ball in the nose which supposedly makes the cartridge full-length), the (ii) Magtech Guargian Gold 65 gr JHP, and the (iii) Magtech 71 gr JHP. These latter two do not show good performance from short barrels.

Any of the options above should solve rim-lock. They do not guarantee that your gun will feed hollow points reliably. If you are worried that the flat-ish nose of hollow point ammunition will "snag" on the feed ramp of your gun, but you wish to use hollow points, then your only option, as far as I know, is to use the Cor-Bon Pow'RBall, which has a rounded nose like an FMJ round.

In any case, I think the P32 is a wonderful little gun, the lightest available autoloader in a caliber .32 or higher, if I am not mistaken. And so many of the bigger .32 ACP guns (including the .32 H&R Magnum and .327 revolvers, which shoot .32 ACP) are wonderful shooters. So I hope you find a good solution to your .32 ACP ammo search! There are many great online sources for this round.

Last edited by jgarne02; 07-18-2012 at 03:23 PM.