KelTec PMR 30 VS FN 5-7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > KelTec PMR 30 VS FN 5-7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default KelTec PMR 30 VS FN 5-7

I was wondering which gun you guys would consider the better carry gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

While I want a Kel-tec, I do not consider it a "carry gun". A rimfire is a poor choice for defensive use as the priming system is less reliable than centerfire (let the flames begin). While the .22 Mag is a potent round, one I would not like to be shot with, I would not carry one for self defense unless I had no alternatives.

WTS, the FN is probably a better choice, just not one I would make. IMHO trying to make a submachinegun (P-90) act like an assault rifle has limited usefulness as it is not an assault rifle. Then trying to stuff that underpowered rifle round in a pistol where it loses even more velocity and energy, then give the pistol bad ergonomics and a spotty reputation for reliability, add in a price tag that is out of most people's range and warranty service that is second to AMT and you have a real fine offering there.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Why would you want to carry such a large frame handgun everyday? I understand wanting a light carry gun but that Kel-Tec is ridiculous. Would I like one? You damn skippy but not for everyday carry. There are better options out there for a lot less money too.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROENIGK View Post
I was wondering which gun you guys would consider the better carry gun.
That's easy. The FN 5.7, because it's proven to function reliably.

I think they're both interesting guns. Neither would ever be considered a potential carry weapon, in my opinion. The 22wmr isn't the greatest immediate threat stopper of a round, and the FN 5.7 is a pretty large framed gun.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

If I had to stop a BG, FN all the way. Because it has more energy. Neither is good for it. That said, my father has a PMR-30. Runs 100%. Fun gun. And, .22wmr can penetrate 12+ in of ballistics gel... Still rather have the FiveSeven.

Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
S&W M&P9 pro 5in.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5502 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

neither one is a good carry gun. they dont even rank with anemic. ive experienced the infamous "reliabilty" of the fn 5-7 first hand. my opinion fn is selling a 350$ gun for 3-4 times that.

the keltec is super light and by lightweight i mean its like a handfull of feathers. i think the 30 rounds of 22wmr weighs more than the gun and mag combined!! buttttttt..... its a rimfire. rimfire es no bueno for SD.

personally i consider the minimum caliber for SD to be .380acp. if your looking at a unique carry gun get the original 5-7 something chambered for the 7.62 tokerev. it does everything the 5-7 does far far far better. the 7.62 tokerev out of a pistol makes the 5.7fn restricted to military rounds only out of a p90 rifle look like the poop it is.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love the 5.7, and I haven't had any trouble with mine at all. I'd like to try a Kel-Tec PMR-30, but I wouldn't consider either one to be a handy piece for concealed carry. While I agree that anything from FN is generally overpriced, the 5.7 is definitely a deadly round, even out of the 5.7 pistol. The 40 Gr. Hornady V-Max is a proven killer, (certainly not "anemic"), particularly when compared to a .380. It has high velocity and good expansion and fregmentation, along with decent penetration. I certainly wouldn't want to be shot by either one. I'd love to see some comparison shots between the 5.7 and the .380. I'm sure that the 5.7 with the V-Max round would do much more damage.