Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > KelTec PMR-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Default KelTec PMR-30

This months Rifleman has an ad for the KelTec PMR-30. Holds 30 rounds of .22 Mag. It looks interesting. What is the Forum's opinion of KelTec in general and the PMR-30?

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I saw the same ad and hope someone will have some first hand information on this one. 22 mag is one of my favorite calibers. I have a Keltec pf-9. I'm not impressed with the fit and finish on it. It is also a beast to shoot after a while at the range. Makes a good ccw, small and light. I chose not to buy the little Keltec .380, got the LCP instead and am happy with it.

Hossman

Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5116 Times on 2662 Posts
Likes Given: 310

im waiting till i can see one in real life. im not a fan of keltec but i like 22mag autos a lot. used to have an amt automag in 22wmr regret selling it but i didnt have a choice and needed cash. the pmr30 is an ugly little bugger

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love the Kel-Tec family of CCW guns, the P-11 PF-9 and the P3AT/P32 are the least expensive gun on the market today that I will entrust my life to. I have however developed a "wait & see" attitude with new guns coming onto the market, doesn't seem like any manufacturer is faultless when it comes to re-calling guns that haven't yet been fully tested...
On the other hand, the only 22 Mag auto guns I am aware of still in production are: Excell Industries (I hear it's a POS) High Standard
who has revived the AMT 22 mag ( hear around $650) & the Kel-Tec PMR-30

Last edited by billdeserthills; 12-25-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I had my dealer order one for me a few month's ago.He received 2 of them a couple weeks ago,so I went to get one.Upon my visual inspection,I noticed that at the muzzle end of the slide there was a gap of 1/16-1/8" between the slide and the frame.
It didn't look right to me,but when you pulled the slide to the rear,the gap would disappear.I don't know if they are supposed to look/be this way,but I didn't buy the PMR-30.I never noticed the gap between the slide and frame in any photo's or video's that I have seen,but you could clearly see through the gap on both of these pistols.

He sold both pistols in a couple days,and I'm waiting to see if the new owners have any problems with them.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I had my dealer order one for me a few month's ago.He received 2 of them a couple weeks ago,so I went to get one.Upon my visual inspection,I noticed that at the muzzle end of the slide there was a gap of 1/16-1/8" between the slide and the frame.
It didn't look right to me,but when you pulled the slide to the rear,the gap would disappear.I don't know if they are supposed to look/be this way,but I didn't buy the PMR-30.I never noticed the gap between the slide and frame in any photo's or video's that I have seen,but you could clearly see through the gap on both of these pistols.

He sold both pistols in a couple days,and I'm waiting to see if the new owners have any problems with them.
You can see a small gap between the slide/frame on many guns, that wouldn't keep me from trying one. I am sure whatever your dealer wanted, the price will come down as more get manufactured

Old 12-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seemed like a lot of muzzle jump for a Semi auto 22 mag, might be the shooter or the light weight of the pistol. Still that is a lot of rounds in one mag so that is a pluss for target shooting. I have an AMT AutoMag long slide that I enjoy shooting good to see some manufacturer bringing back this pistol. I have to wonder why the bottom mag release, I don't like it on the AMT see it as a draw back on this pistol, then again with the mag capacity might not be an issue.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Seemed like a lot of muzzle jump for a Semi auto 22 mag, might be the shooter or the light weight of the pistol. Still that is a lot of rounds in one mag so that is a pluss for target shooting. I have an AMT AutoMag long slide that I enjoy shooting good to see some manufacturer bringing back this pistol. I have to wonder why the bottom mag release, I don't like it on the AMT see it as a draw back on this pistol, then again with the mag capacity might not be an issue.
there were some issues with early automags some got out with the same grade of stainless for both slide and frame and had binding issues. amt never really recovered from that. its good to here the design is coming back.

bottom release isnt too bad especially on a range gun. my first ccw gun was an old sig 220 from west germany with the heel clip release. still got some of those mags that find their way into my newhampshire made sig mags. it just took some getting used to but it wasnt bad and i never had problems ccw-wise with inadvertant mag drops.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

My wife looked at the ad in Rifleman and said "Wow that looks like fun" so I'm seriously looking at this puppy.

In the pawn shop video I thought I spotted the slide locked back with a round still showing more than once. This was glossed over with the statement "That this is common with new guns" I'd be curious to know exactly what type of malfunction and how often.

I'd also like to know the average selling price of these guys.

If I do buy one I'll report back.

Paul
Salome. AZ