Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > keltec pf 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
So I pulled the firing pin and deburred the channel. But still had some light strikes on only the tula. The only thing I can think of is that they must have some really hard primers. Everything else (american made) ran through just fine.
As you seem to have already concluded, this sounds like 100% ammunition issues.

I've never had an issue with my PF9. But I've never shot Russian ammo through it either. I generally avoid the stuff. The Tula pistol ammo isn't much cheaper than domestic brass cased bulk ammo, so it doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

For rifles the cost difference can be great enough to pique my curiosity. The Russian stuff generally runs great in Russian rifles. I tried some Silver Bear in my AR. Accuracy and ballistics were great, cycling was okay but hardly perfect.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I have a pf-9 for summer carry. The first 50 rounds were tough because while it would cycle it wouldn't hold open after the last round. at around shot 51, 52 the problem went away and hasnt come back . Ive fired maybe 3 or 4 hundred through it since without a single problem.

Ive heard of and seen primer strike issues related to russian steel case ammo though so I wouldn't be surprised at issues with tul ammo, wolf or any other cheap rounds.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #13

IMHO, if I was looking for a 9 in the PF9 price range(or close) and size, I would look at this new gun from Bersa.

BPCC9

3.3 inch barrel and 8+1 capacity

Last edited by Paperpuncher; 01-09-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpuncher View Post
IMHO, if I was looking for a 9 in the PF9 price range(or close) and size, I would look at this new gun from Bersa. BPCC9
3.3 inch barrel and 8+1 capacity
Its not bad, I like the load indicator and the 8 rd mag. But its still too huge compared to the PF9. Thats me. Both the bersa and the PF9s are double action triggers. Really the next closest in size and price to the PF9 is the Taurus 709 (brazillian) and that has a sa/da trigger wich is nice. The DAO trigger is a deal breaker for some people anyway.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

RE: Light primer strikes w/ PF9

I believe this to be a shooter issue and not a mechanical malfunction. I had a person on here alert me to this, next time out i paid close (er) attention to my form and what i found was....

If the shooter doesnt allow the trigger to fully reset the gun will do what seems to be a light primer strike. You must allow the trigger out all the way, if you dont, it "half cocks" for lack of better term.

Its NOT the guns fault but the shooters.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog

Its not bad, I like the load indicator and the 8 rd mag. But its still too huge compared to the PF9. Thats me. Both the bersa and the PF9s are double action triggers. Really the next closest in size and price to the PF9 is the Taurus 709 (brazillian) and that has a sa/da trigger wich is nice. The DAO trigger is a deal breaker for some people anyway.

Of the guns I own the one with the best trigger is the Bersa.

I did a side by side with the Bersa and PF9 and the Bersa is 1/2 inch bigger in length/height and .15 wider, and about $75 bucks more.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj
RE: Light primer strikes w/ PF9

I believe this to be a shooter issue and not a mechanical malfunction. I had a person on here alert me to this, next time out i paid close (er) attention to my form and what i found was....

If the shooter doesnt allow the trigger to fully reset the gun will do what seems to be a light primer strike. You must allow the trigger out all the way, if you dont, it "half cocks" for lack of better term.

Its NOT the guns fault but the shooters.
that is what I told my friend but I was wrong. Not wrong that if you don't reset the trigger fully it would short stroke (it will), but wrong that he was not short stroking it, it had to be sent back for repair because of an out of spec spring.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #18

It is true the PF9 isn't the most comfortable to shoot, but I love mine. Other than the firing pin breaking I haven't had a problem with mine.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
Has anyone experienced light primer strikes with the keltec pf9? I was running a few different brands through my wife's gun this weekend and had a few light primer strikes with that tula 9mm (russian steel case) but it was only like every third rnd.

So I pulled the firing pin and deburred the channel. But still had some light strikes on only the tula. The only thing I can think of is that they must have some really hard primers. Everything else (american made) ran through just fine.
I tried that stuff too, and had the same problem. It has shot WWB and RGS in 147 grain with no problem.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #20

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I shot a pf9 and I really liked it. I went to buy one but the sales guy talked me into buying the more expensive ($20 more) Ruger lc9. When we went to the regester to pay there were two customers there. One bringing his pf9 to be sent out for repair and anouther picking his back up from having it fixed. Me and the sales guy couldnt stop laughing. Im not saying the pf9 is bad like I said I was gonna buy one the timing was just funny. I love my lc9 by the way. Well over 2k rounds through it and the only problems have been with reloads.