Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   keltec pf 9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/keltec-pf-9-a-52323/)

vinnytombs 11-24-2011 02:59 AM

keltec pf 9

hello everyone I have a concealed carry liscens and wanted to get something bigger than the .380 I usually carry. I decided to go with a kel tec pf 9 in tan. does anyone know anything about them or have any experience with them. what I have found is that it's a great looking small framed gun in a 9 and extremely inexpensive. any input is appreciated.

nccinstaller 11-24-2011 03:10 AM

Ive heard good things about them. If you havent purchased yet check out the ruger lc9 and the kahr cw9 also. Best thing to do is hold them or shoot if possible and see what fits

vinnytombs 11-24-2011 04:28 AM

I've shot the ruger I absolutely don't like them and they rust for no reason and the kahr is pricy if I'm not mistaken have you ever shot the pf 9??

fmj 11-24-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnytombs (Post 634661)
I've shot the ruger I absolutely don't like them and they rust for no reason and the kahr is pricy if I'm not mistaken have you ever shot the pf 9??

I have a PF-9 and like it. It does have quirks. It is NOT a gun that lends its self to a day of comfortable shooting.

With knowledge of the firearm i believe it can be a quality carry piece.

Check back in the morn.....i might have a some video of it in action....at least some pics of what it can do in the hands of a not so good shooter.

bigtex4855 11-24-2011 03:53 PM

I have had a PF-9 for about a year and a half with 600 rounds through it. Zero failures. I have heard alot of good about Kahr and am considering buying one. A Kahr would definitely be money well spent, but if you get a PF-9 you will probably be happy with it.

sweeper22 11-25-2011 06:27 AM

Kel-Tec PF9: $300
Ruger LC9: $350
Kahr CM9: $400

By most accounts these are all quality budget micros. I only have extensive experience with the PF9, and I consider it a bargain. It's an easy carry in shorts and a t-shirt and the 7+1 capacity is exceptional for a gun of that size. The PF9 is designed 100% around being convenient to carry, so don't expect a gun that's terribly fun at the range or easy to shoot with precision. But mine cycles like a champ and has exhibited zero issues through probably 600rds.

I sometimes carry it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, but usually just go with a belly band under the wasteline of my pants/shorts.

Leathermarshmallow 11-27-2011 04:02 AM

I have been carrying a PF 9 for about 8 months now. At first, it was hard to shoot, the more I practice with it, the easier it gets. I enjoy shooting it. It is accurate and has been a 100% gun for me with about 1000 rounds through it now. I recommend it! I am going to buy another just because I like it so well. A great deal for "bang for the buck".

crispy500 11-27-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 635434)
Kel-Tec PF9: $300
Ruger LC9: $350
Kahr CM9: $400
Beretta Nano: $400

Pick one. They all work. Some will say that Kel Tec is junk, but my PF-9 functions flawlessly. Found the grip was a bit thin for me. A Hogue Handall Jr. fixed that problem.

Mine was $235 brand new with two mags and a belt clip (which I wouldn't use) from a dealer just last year. You can get them all day for $259.

cfraga1978 01-09-2012 07:15 PM

Has anyone experienced light primer strikes with the keltec pf9? I was running a few different brands through my wife's gun this weekend and had a few light primer strikes with that tula 9mm (russian steel case) but it was only like every third rnd.

So I pulled the firing pin and deburred the channel. But still had some light strikes on only the tula. The only thing I can think of is that they must have some really hard primers. Everything else (american made) ran through just fine.

Wolfeman1911 01-09-2012 07:27 PM

My friend had to send his back because of light primer strike issues. Mine ran flawlessly through a thousands rounds. Half were reloads. I loved it but sold it because it was a tad too big for a pocket in my opinion. I opted to carter a380 in each front pocket. A kel tec and a ruger.