Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Keltec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
I love my Sub-2000. Unfortunately I can't get it to run after around 250 rounds. I thought it would wear in but not yet. I wish Kel-Tec could build as good a gun as they design.
What happens after 250 rounds? Do you mean you have only shot 250 rounds and now it will not shoot at all, or do you clean the gun and then it shoots OK, or what?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
I love my Sub-2000. Unfortunately I can't get it to run after around 250 rounds. I thought it would wear in but not yet. I wish Kel-Tec could build as good a gun as they design.
Blowback operation chucks every bit of the gunk/exhaust backwards toward the stock. It's a good, simple, lightweight, and cheap design. PITA to clean, but regular cleaning is a must. Not so great if you intend to engage some threat to the tune of 500rds. But if you're a good FTF'er, it'll be ample to either get 99% of all conceivable jobs done or transition to a better option (in the world of worst case senario hypotheticals, that is;...sometimes it seems quite irrational, but many of our minds tend to dwell in that world, LOL).

My opinion is that the S2K is a truly great gun for what it is. Ask it to be full-on battle rifle for hours or days on end, and failure is certain. Not failure of the rifle, but rather failure of the shooter. It's a great little versatile rifle that shouldn't ever be confused with an AR, AK, M1A, etc.

I literally have a stable of $1500 ARs, yet I still love my Sub2000. I understand its limitations, but appreciate it's value and versatility.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 36

BTW- I checked...it's still a $350-400 rifle. At least that's what many online distributors are listing it at. But no, there isn't live stock available at that price.

Kel-Tec has always been a bit of a small-time brand that produces this or that in 'batches' during a certain time of the year. So if you want one and do a little homework, it can probably be yours for $400 or so at some unforeseeable moment in the next few months. You just have to take a little initiative during the few weeks or months that they're plentiful. I'd recommend the G17 version...even if you hate Glock.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #44

Likes Given: 12

Sorry! I was unclear. From day one up to six FTE's per magazine. Multiple range visits and cleaning between each visit. After 250 rounds I have seen some improvement in that I only expect to see 2 or 3 FTE's per magazine. I have yet to get through the first magazine, or any other, with a clean gun, without a FTE.

As poor as mine has been I too love the S2K. I am not looking for this to be a battle rifle. Worse case scenario I guess this carbine might be adequate to keep some heads down while I get out of Dodge. While I would love to fire a few hundred rounds at a range visit it does not look like that is going to happen any time soon.

After consulting with Kel-Tec I used lapping compound to polish the chamber. Next I will try the bolt and tube.