Kel-Tec Thumbs Down - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Kel-Tec Thumbs Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Over at KTOG, rumor has it that Kel Tec may be coming out with an improved P11 with a better trigger.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I have a P3AT and a P11. Had A PF9. The P3AT is not nice to shoot at the range. Adding a hooked floor plate to the mag helped a bunch as I now have a solid 2 finger grip. I traded off a much used P11 with a lightened trigger to get the PF9. Big mistake on my part. It was not reliable and harder to shoot. I now have another P11 and the trigger is better than the previous one. I have the hooked floor plate on the mags and that gives me a 3 finger grip. I put over 3k rnds through the old P11 and the only failure was a bad primer. The new one has not missed a beat so far. The trigger shoe pinched my finger so it is sitting in the box.
I also have an SP101 DAO and had the trigger worked over. You will like it even better if you have it done.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #23

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I bought a P11 back in 96 when they were new to the market and ZERO issues with it. Yes the trigger pull is heavy but mine was consistent, reliable, and dead accurate. I've since stepped up to Kahr PM9 which I love but I still wish I had not sold the Kel Tek

Tack

Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #24

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Over at KTOG, rumor has it that Kel Tec may be coming out with an improved P11 with a better trigger.
The idea is to install a trigger system like the one in the P3AT/PF-9 in all new P-11's. That is to say it will have a hammer block. Preliminary reports are that it would not be interchangeable. It would be a true Gen II P-11. The reason is there would have to be modifications made to the polymer 'grip'.

As a interesting side note, many are hoping Kel-Tec will take this opportunity and add a rail to the little pistola.

This is all preliminary as I understand it today.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #25

FWIW ~ I own both a P11 and a PF9 and even the original Ruger LCP (A Kel-Tec P3AT)

The P11 does have a long hard heavy pull, But the Gun has been 110% since the day I bought it.

The PF9 as others said has a trigger pull about half what the P11 is.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it, Kel-Tec makes decent guns and stands behind what they make, You should have ckecked out the KTOG website as someone there could have helped you with a trigger mod.

Sounds like the Gun worked as designed, You need to realize the problem is You and not the Gun, No reason to bash Kel-Tec - Now you just need to find a gun that fits your needs.

TJB

Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
Sorry to hear you didn't like it, Kel-Tec makes decent guns and stands behind what they make, You should have ckecked out the KTOG website as someone there could have helped you with a trigger mod.

Sounds like the Gun worked as designed, You need to realize the problem is You and not the Gun, No reason to bash Kel-Tec - Now you just need to find a gun that fits your needs.

TJB
When I owned the P11 I saw the mod and was gonna try it, but Kel-Tec informed me that would void all warranty.

I've got a safe full of handguns that "fit my needs" Kel-Tec's pistol was a fraction of the quality that even my lesser hand guns hold. Who would want a gun that is too cheaply made to dry-fire?

People are interested in the experiences of others to gauge their own future purchases. No bashing, just informing. That's kinda the name of the game, isn't it?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #27

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
When I owned the P11 I saw the mod and was gonna try it, but Kel-Tec informed me that would void all warranty.

I've got a safe full of handguns that "fit my needs" Kel-Tec's pistol was a fraction of the quality that even my lesser hand guns hold. Who would want a gun that is too cheaply made to dry-fire?

People are interested in the experiences of others to gauge their own future purchases. No bashing, just informing. That's kinda the name of the game, isn't it?
FWIW, Kel-Tec wont (according to their website and manual) repair a firearm under warranty that belongs to someone other than the original owner.

Practice has proved to be very different as I have never seen or heard of someone having this issue with KT. They simply don't ask and don't care.

The only instance I know where Kel-Tec has denied someone a warranty repair is when a gentlemen owning a P-40 did his own work on the barrel to compensate it. There are bound to be other examples out there, but they stand by their product.

Quote:
Who would want a gun that is too cheaply made to dry-fire?
Quote:
No bashing, just informing.
You are not bashing. Your insinuating that just because Kel-Tec would rather you not dry-fire their guns, they must be cheaply made. Take it for what its worth. Although I could push 6-7K RPM's in my Hyundai, there is probably a good reason why I don't and for why there is a little red line there.

Just keep in mind, if you ever broke it by dry firing, they would have replacement parts to you in about 4 or 5 days (on average) completely free of charge.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
FWIW, Kel-Tec wont (according to their website and manual) repair a firearm under warranty that belongs to someone other than the original owner.[/U][/B]
At the time this occured I was the original owner. The gal I spoke to on the phone was quite a bit less-than-friendly. I guess you can't judge a CS dept. by one associate, but since I only spoke with one, what do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
You are not bashing. Your insinuating that just because Kel-Tec would rather you not dry-fire their guns, they must be cheaply made. Take it for what its worth. Although I could push 6-7K RPM's in my Hyundai, there is probably a good reason why I don't and for why there is a little red line there.
Maybe I shouldn't say cheap, but dry-firing a gun is a must for myself and it is hardly "maxing" out the firearm.

To those of ya'll that like your Kel-Tec's, right on. That gun did go bang everytime I pulled the trigger. The day I sold it I got my SP101. . . nothing but a happy ending to the story. . .

Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #29

Diggs,

I understand where you are coming from somewhat, But your orginial post was bashing Kel-Tec for something that wasn't their fault, While I own Kel-Tec's, I'm not a uber fan of them, They just make a good gun for the Money spent.

I have a friend that lost his 'trigger" in an industrial accident, First He went with the Glock 26 which he gave to his wife after deciding it was a little bigger than he cared to conceal, There was no way He could shoot my P11, But He ended up with a Kel-Tec PF9 (That's how much difference there is between the two in trigger pull) You tried a P11 - It dosen't wasn't for you ** That's not Kel-Tec's fault though. FWIW I never heard him complain about the gun or the manufacturer because he lost his finger.

As for Dry firing, It's NEVER a Good idea to Dry Fire any gun - Although some like Ruger will say it's Ok - Always use Snap Caps or even an empthy Shell casing, Having nothing in the Chamber for the Firing pin to meet and strike, Is kinda like getting your car up to a 100 MPH and slamming into a Brick wall, It's doubtful you would remain inside the car with that sudden decrease in speed, let alone in one piece.

TJB

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #30
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

I was looking into one of the PMR-30 .22 WMR; but, locally no ones sells it or can get. Since it is having issues, will hold off until the issues are resolved.

Add the PMR-30 to the list, discussion of them blowing up. Seems the bullet is not being fully chambered!

From the discussions, KEL-TEC is looking hard into the problem.

KTOG Forum - My PMR-30 blew up. *

Newest Threads