Kel-Tec Thumbs Down
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kel-Tec Thumbs Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Kel-Tec Thumbs Down

That little P-11 I showed ya'll a couple weeks ago in the 9mm vs. .40 Cal thread I thought would make a decent back-up weapon.

I took it to the range and found the trigger pull to be unacceptable. I have a weak trigger finger on my dominant (left) hand due to an injury in which I almost lost the digit and have only half the tendons that most do, so I couldn't shoot with that hand accurately at all. With my right hand results were better, but still not great. It wasn't just the hard pull, but the hammer didn't seem to fall at the same during the pull consistently.

I had heard this is a common problem and Kel-Tec can replace the factory 14.5 lb spring with a 10 lb spring and install a shoe on the trigger to reduce pull distance, so I wrote this e-mail:

I recently purchased a P-11 and like the gun. However, I would like the trigger pull to be more comfortable. How much do you charge to replace the trigger spring and install a shoe for a lighter pull?

To which Kel-Tec replied:

Sorry, there are no adjustments on the trigger system, any changes to the trigger system will void your warranty and jeopardize the safety of the weapon. thanks

I wrote back to let them know I sold the gun and will advise anyone in the future against buying Kel-Tec.

This was disappointing especially because it is a 100% American company. I always buy American given the choice.

Oh well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For $279 or less NIB you can't do much better in a concealable 9mm.

Yes, the trigger is a long hard pull, but it's supposed to be. It doesn't have a safety, but I dare you to accidentally shoot it!

It's not made for great accuracy or lots of range time. It's made to be a 9mm that goes bang at close distances. It just is what it is.

My dad has carried his P-11 as a back-up for his ...barf Glock 17 for more than ten years.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I know the long hard trigger pull is the only safety feature... and a damn good one.

My disappointment is a direct result of the response I got from Kel-Tec.

Even though the gun was never intended for anything other than self defense, I still like to practice with everything as one should and I would like to enjoy it.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You didn't like their response, but it was honest and direct.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #5

I think you spoke with a disgruntled employee... this came from the official Kel Tec Owners Group site.

"There's not much you can do to make the trigger pull shorter, but you can certainly make it easier by replacing the 10-pound spring with an 8.5-pound spring."

"Kel-Tec CNC will replace the spring without charging you any labor (just the cost of the spring)."

"The trigger shoe creates a wider surface for your finger to rest on and pull, resulting in a more comfortable trigger. Combined with the 8.5-pound hammer spring, this makes a BIG difference."

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

OlPainless, that is EXACTLY what I read right before deciding to purchase the firearm. I thought it would be no big deal and that's not the only place I've read that.

As far as their response goes... it may have been honest and direct, but usually one would like include helpful in there too.

I guess it must have been a disgruntled employee.

That's the first and last time I venture outside my usual array of dependable, helpful, quality firearms makers.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
That's the first and last time I venture outside my usual array of dependable, helpful, quality firearms makers.

Amen brother! Taurus' for everyone! Great now i'm going to have NGIB on me for unfounded bashing.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Woh! woh! woh! Taurus' for everyone? I thought I said quality.

Nah just kidding. Never owned one so I can't say.

I tried Kel-Tec and thought I might have a place for them to back up the big boys, but things just didn't work out and we had to break up. It wasn't meant to be. . . So sad.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heck, Just buy the spring and shoe and install yourself. But you've sold it, so nevermind.
The shoe does make a big diff. I need to buy one for myself.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a Kel Tec PF 9 as my BUG and my wife carries a Kel tec P3AT . I have no problem with either . They are not target pistols and that should not be expected . For what they are meant for they are very good .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !