Kel Tec pf9? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kel Tec pf9?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Wow not impressed. My buddy bought one and we just got bavk from the range. I wish i could post the video of it failing to fire almost every other pull. I hated the way it fired when it did fire and it is currently sitting at the gun smiths. Failure to fire plus the mag dropping while firing and i must say i am very dissapointed. I mean my sigma 40 performed without flaw.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
Wow not impressed. My buddy bought one and we just got bavk from the range. I wish i could post the video of it failing to fire almost every other pull. I hated the way it fired when it did fire and it is currently sitting at the gun smiths. Failure to fire plus the mag dropping while firing and i must say i am very dissapointed. I mean my sigma 40 performed without flaw.
Sure sounds like a case of operator error to me.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Sure sounds like a case of operator error to me.
How is the mag dropping and failure to fire operator error...

Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
He bought the gun didn't he?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
In my case, dropping the mag is because the mag release is right under my thumb, due to my limited grip with my other fingers & I tend to grip harder with my thumb & occasionally drop the mag.

Don't know about the failure to fire if a round is in the chamber. Does the round show a firing pin mark? Again, because of my weak wrists, mine short cycles so the slide closes on an empty chamber then I get a 'click' in stead of a 'bang'.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #16

Oh i see what your saying. That may in fact be true because i operated the pistol and was able to fire all the rounds in the mag without issue. I had not considered that

Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
In my case, dropping the mag is because the mag release is right under my thumb, due to my limited grip with my other fingers & I tend to grip harder with my thumb & occasionally drop the mag.

Don't know about the failure to fire if a round is in the chamber. Does the round show a firing pin mark? Again, because of my weak wrists, mine short cycles so the slide closes on an empty chamber then I get a 'click' in stead of a 'bang'.
This is what i am getting at.

This little rig takes some getting used to.

If the mag is dropping during firing, it is because you are hitting the mag release button under recoil. This is not the fault of the gun but the shooter. Another issue new shooters find (my wife had this issue) is that it wont cycle properly due to a "limp wristing". Not saying your limp wristed, but the gun does have quite a bit of perceived recoil due to the nature of its size. Yet another issue new owners find is not allowing the trigger to travel all the way out before attempting to squeeze off another round. The firing pin will "short set".

These are all operator errors.

I have also found, my gun came with a magazine "extension" piece. Altho i dont have overly large hands, i DO have "man hands" and that little bit of extension helps me get my little finger on the grip...one wouldnt think it, but it DOES help control the the muzzle flip.

The PF-9 is IMHO a great little pocket (mouse) gun. But it certainly takes some getting used to. Nor does it lend itself to pleasant extended shooting periods. People talk about a guns break in period when new...in the case of the PF-9 i have found that the gun breaks in the shooter.

I will firing 2-3-4 mags thru it, then pick up the 1911 or 686 and shoot those for a while then go back to the PF-9 and fire a few more mags and so on and so forth when at the range.

When I first bought mine, i was at the range getting broke in. The guy in the stall next to me was shooting the S&W body guard. We swapped guns for a couple of mags. (as is often the case) I found that little .380 had the same amount of perceived recoil and one of the worst triggers i have ever encountered...for $100 more.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 09-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #18

I will pass that on. He is a new shooter and it fired fine for me