Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   kel tec pf9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/kel-tec-pf9-34288/)

colmustard 11-12-2010 09:24 AM

kel tec pf9

So I am looking for a new semi auto pistol for carry, dont get me wrong I love my sigma and 1911 but I am wanting somthing smaller and dont really want to go under a 9mm for defense. So what do you all think of the pf9? Reliable? Good price? And is it easy to concel? Thanks for the input.

BigByrd47119 11-12-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 384925)
So I am looking for a new semi auto pistol for carry, don't get me wrong I love my sigma and 1911 but I am wanting something smaller and don't really want to go under a 9mm for defense. So what do you all think of the pf9? Reliable? Good price? And is it easy to concel? Thanks for the input.

Life-time warranty, to the point that even if it surpasses its designed life span of 6K rounds, KT has been known to replace your firearm with another that simply has your old s/n etched into it.

KTOG.org has great info on repairs and other DIY information. be advised that many posts there are from people who are having issues with their firearms. Most people don't go there otherwise so don't expect a whole lot of love stories. Those who do hang out there frequently provide great advise however.

Conceal ability basically comes down to whether or not your willing to dress around the gun. Relatively speaking, its a easy hide.

$330 is the going price for the base model in my area. With a life time guarantee, how can you beat it?

colmustard 11-12-2010 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info, I seen a few reviews on youtube ( i know not the best place for info, but better than nothing lol) and have found I really like it. I think I might go up to the gun store soon and see about one.:)

MA2LA 11-12-2010 11:54 AM

Its a great pistol. ya it has a bit of snap but its never bothered me muc and for the size you get a good amount of fire power. I put a slid on grip on mine to fit my hand a little better but other than that its great.

BigByrd47119 11-12-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 384930)
Thanks for the info, I seen a few reviews on youtube ( i know not the best place for info, but better than nothing lol) and have found I really like it. I think I might go up to the gun store soon and see about one.:)

I dont know about you, but I found the PF-9 to be too small (as far as grip) for my tastes. And for me, the mag finger extention made it even worse, sort of cramming my fingers together uncomfortably below the bottom of the trigger guard. I didnt even get a good two finger grip without the extension, considering the fact that your not likely to get a full grip without the extension.

The KT P11 was a different story however. Its a 10+1 double stack, which makes it almost an inch wide. Its just slightly taller than the PF-9 and I find I can get a good grip on this little devil.

As a side note (not sure how much you know about the KT brand) the P11 comes in 9mm, but they make a P40, which is .40 cal.. It was actually discontinued due to the amount of P40's that were returned with customers complaining that the firearm failed consistantly to eject. Obviously, not every P40 was actually fault (few in fact) but rather the .40 was simply too much for most people in such a small package. As a result limp-wristing caused most of the issues with the P40.

The PF-9 is fairly suseptable to limp-wristing, more so than the P11. Most PF-9 owners will say that 50 rounds is about all their wrists are good for before it starts becoming difficult to prevent limp-wristing. The point is, the PF-9 isnt made to be a range gun. Its made to be carried often and shot rarely (relative to your comfort with shooting it).

Also note that KT recommends not using +P with any regularity. I personally wouldnt use +P ammo as a carry round if I had a PF-9 simply because I am a very big advocate of practising with what you carry. If I cant practise with it regularly, then I dont want to carry it.

fireguy 11-12-2010 06:50 PM

p11

I would agree on the P11 Keltec. I have one and it is easy to hide in a pocket holster, is fairly easy to hold, and goes bang. I've been wanting to get the mag extension so I can get more than three fingers on the grip, but haven't done that yet. If you shoot hot loads it bites a little bit, so I only use Federal persoal defense loads in mine, they are loaded to a slower velocity. If I'm going to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo at one time I try to wear gloves so I don't wear the skin off between my thumb and index finger.

BigByrd47119 11-12-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 385097)
I would agree on the P11 Keltec. I have one and it is easy to hide in a pocket holster, is fairly easy to hold, and goes bang. I've been wanting to get the mag extension so I can get more than three fingers on the grip, but haven't done that yet. If you shoot hot loads it bites a little bit, so I only use Federal persoal defense loads in mine, they are loaded to a slower velocity. If I'm going to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo at one time I try to wear gloves so I don't wear the skin off between my thumb and index finger.

Did you invest in the Hogue Handall Jr.?

I dont yet have my P11, but it is on its way:D!!!

JTJ 11-12-2010 09:24 PM

I have a PF 9 and Had a P11. The P11 trigger is really bad but can be helped with new springs. The PF9 has a better trigger but is a little small in the grip. I put a piece of bicycle innertube on mine and it helped a lot. My PF9 does not like 115 gr anything. It does well with 124 gr HP and FMJ. I am using 124 gr XTP's with no failures so far. Shoot what you carry. I had mine out yesterday and my wife tried it. She managed 11 rnds before she started messing up. She put 11 into a 5" circle at 5 yds and dropped the last 3. She usually shoots a Glock 19 and does a lot better.
My P11 was extremely reliable. I put a several thousand rounds through it and some was real garbage but it never jammed. It had 1 failure to fire and that was a bad primer. Mine did have the springs done by the gunsmith I bought it from. It was a lot better but not great. Except for the trigger, I liked it better than the PF9.

fireguy 11-13-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 (Post 385122)
Did you invest in the Hogue Handall Jr.?

I dont yet have my P11, but it is on its way:D!!!

Yes, I got the Hogue slip-on and ruined it trying to get it on. I put it in HOT water for a while, tried to slip it on, and tore the da** thing. So I don't have the benefit that I've read a lot about on mine. I won't spend the money for another one just so I can tear it up, too.

colmustard 11-13-2010 04:57 AM

I like all this food for thought you all! Thank you and keep it coming, since I know little about the gun and the brand, I am like a sponge so keep that info coming :D