Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kel-Tec PF9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pf 9

I have two KEL-TEC' s. AP 32 in my pocket and a PF 9 in my truck. I would trust my life (and I do) with both of them. The 32 has over 1000 rounds thru the pipe without a hic-up. The pf9 takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is also an excellent gun.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
It will hold up. Its American made with steal guide rails. Wouldn't you trust American made products over Croatia made? Do they even use 6 Sigma
or ISO9000 manufacturing process?
You may not like shooting the PF9 as much because of the double action trigger, and small light pistol format. But from what I can tell they are built tuff enough.

From the Kel-Tec web site: All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more.
6,000 rounds isn't much. I have more then that thru my XD 45. When I buy a gun I buy it for life! I want to be able to shoot it and enjoy it, so far Kel Tec won't fit that bill. If someone can prove me otherwise, I'm still interested.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
6,000 rounds isn't much. I have more then that thru my XD 45. When I buy a gun I buy it for life! I want to be able to shoot it and enjoy it, so far Kel Tec won't fit that bill. If someone can prove me otherwise, I'm still interested.
If you are wanting a target , range , gun the kel tec is not for you . If you want something that you will have on you always , even when you need it , and is outstanding for self defense , they are it.

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I think that means that it will last at least 6k rounds before any maintenance is required. It will probably last more than that. I expect my Kel-Tec to last me for my entire life time.
What about your XD makes you think it is built to last longer than a Kel-Tec?
I'm sure they are fine pistols, but I am just curious what makes them last longer before maintenance or breakage. Is it better material, or better design, or both?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's NO WAY IN HELL I would consider downgrading from an XD .40 to the Kel Tec 9mm. The design dictates the XDs are service pistols-meant for a lifetime of shooting, whereas the Kel-Tec was never meant for anything except defense only-and then limited shooting at that.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #16

Hello, I have a PF9 and like it very much. I have shot hundreds of rounds through it and no problems. Kel Tec had problems with the first run of them but have corrected several issues with them. The easy way to tell if the one you are looking at is a current version, is if it has a metal mag release. If it does, it is the current version and has all the corrected mods. to it. I purchased it for summer use, due to its light weight and thin frame. I think it carries well and almost forget I have it with me, which I think is the point of a carry weapon, not to mention it disappears when even light clothing is worn(T-shirt and shorts).
Is it as tough as a glock( and I have 2 of them) as far as torture testing, I don't know as I have never tossed the kel tec into sand, mud, water,etc. and tried firing it. I do know that mine has been very reliable under normal firing conditions and has functioned above what i expected from a weapon in its price range. I trust it as much as any of my other weapons including 1911 45ACP's, which have a history of stove piping spent rounds.
All and all, if you asked 10 diferent doctors about a certain thing, you would get 10 different opinions, which holds true to most things in life.

If you are happy with your XD, by all means stick with it. If you are looking for options to carry, them the PF 9 is a good option or as a BUG, at least in my experiences.

Just keep in mind that every maker will and has turned out a lemon or two in production. The PF 9 is covered for life by the company, so if you do have a problem, they will take care of it.

Just my 2 cents worth as a Kel Tec owner.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There's NO WAY IN HELL I would consider downgrading from an XD .40 to the Kel Tec 9mm. The design dictates the XDs are service pistols-meant for a lifetime of shooting, whereas the Kel-Tec was never meant for anything except defense only-and then limited shooting at that.
I actually have an XD9 and since I first posted this I've decided to keep the XD. Thanks for all the input though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The Kel-Tec is an excellent choice for a backup. I actually carry a Backup as a backup, and even though I can hide it under my wallet, it will put rounds on target surprisingly well. Hell, when it's hot out, sometimes I just carry the Backup without a backup.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #19

The only thing I can say bad about this little gun is that I find it hysterical that you need a round (or at least a shell casing) to field strip it.

Other that that, she's a beaut.