Kel-Tec PF9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kel-Tec PF9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Kel-Tec PF9

Anyone have experience with Keltec's PF9? I finally got to mess with one the other day and for concealed carry they would be great, very thin but are they reliable? Anyone have one of these or have any experience with them?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Anyone have experience with Keltec's PF9? I finally got to mess with one the other day and for concealed carry they would be great, very thin but are they reliable? Anyone have one of these or have any experience with them?

I've owned one and it was a very good pistol, once you understand it's limitations. It is not a durable pistol, meant to be used as a defense gun as well as a range gun. It's purpose is for you to buy it, shoot about 50 rounds through it, clean it & carry. Every couple of months, shoot up the ammo in the mag, clean and reload with fresh ammo and carry.

The one I had, the very first time I shot it, I fired the first round, dead center in the X. Next shot was through the previous hole in the X. I went home and cleaned gun, and carried it for a while and finally moved on to better things. It is not meant for extended shooting.

It has a lifetime warranty, and Kel-tec is a very good company to do business with regarding the warranty, so that is a plus...

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Basically I have a almost new XD9 sub compact with 4 mags(thank you Springfield) that I could downsize into a Keltec and free up a couple hundred as money may get tight. That's why I'm asking...I may stick with my XD.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Personally, I would say to stick with the XD if you can. Kel-Tec is a decent weapon, but the XD is much better (as long as you can stand to carry it, that is).

Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've carried the XD all day long with no comfort issues and I know its a better weapon with is why I'm hesitant. The Kel Tec is much thinner though, almost 4/10th of an inch and considerablly lighter. I think I'll hang on to it for now. I don't see gun prices going down anytime in the next 6-8 months.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a pf 9 as BUG . Love it .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
I carry a pf 9 as BUG . Love it .
How much range time do you have with it? Will it stand up to regular use? I buy my guns to shoot them and enjoy them, if I did make the switch the same would apply here. Will it stand up to 100-200 rounds a week? My XD's have no problem with it and seem to get better and better.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't give up a XD to carry a kel-tec, money might get tight but don't get frugle on personal defense. XD might not be my personal choice but it is a far better firearm than a kel-tec and if you have to defend yourself it is a truly good choice. Find a different way to save money and don't lower your personal safety. It's a few hundred dollar spread at best and that isn't worth lowering your personal standard for safety.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #9

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and it has been a very reliable shooter. I think it has a lifetime warranty to. I have two friends that have XD's one is a .40 and the other is a .45. Both of the XD's are great shooters, and seem to be of fine quality, but I can not say if it is any better quality than a Kel-Tec.

Kel-Tec is an Aircraft parts manufacture that uses their CNC machinery to make guns when they have idle time. The materials they use are of very good quality, and the design is a very good for the intended use. Its not a target pistol, and it wont have as good a trigger feel as a single action XD. With that said, IMHO the Kel-Tec is just as tuff and probably just as reliable as an XD.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
How much range time do you have with it? Will it stand up to regular use? I buy my guns to shoot them and enjoy them, if I did make the switch the same would apply here. Will it stand up to 100-200 rounds a week? My XD's have no problem with it and seem to get better and better.
It will hold up. Its American made with steal guide rails. Wouldn't you trust American made products over Croatia made? Do they even use 6 Sigma
or ISO9000 manufacturing process?
You may not like shooting the PF9 as much because of the double action trigger, and small light pistol format. But from what I can tell they are built tuff enough.

From the Kel-Tec web site: All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more.

Last edited by Kaptin; 03-22-2009 at 01:24 PM.