Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > kel tec pf 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Default kel tec pf 9

so i am thinking about a kel tec pf 9 as my new concelled carry pistol, I would like any views on this pistol good or bad, and also any other pistol that is in the same catagory. I plan on carrying the pistol in a pocket holster. I have been more of a 1911 guy and am new to the sub compact, and am wanting somthing easier to carry then my 5'' govt. model my main thing is pocket holster carry. Thanks again

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you are going that small I suggest a revolver.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 436

yeah i was rattlein the idea of a lcr around in my head too, I do like the simplicity and reliability of the revolver design, plus those things are so light!, thanks for the advice

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
simplicity and reliability
Personally, these are my top 2 criteria for a carry weapon. The LCR has no safety (despite being fully safe and always in condition 1), no hammer, nothing to cock, nothing to jam. It is the ultimate point-and-click interface, and weighs under a pound loaded. I know I'll be buying one as soon as I turn 21.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-31-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

Default Kel tec pf 9

I carry a kel tec pf 9 every day, everywhere. I have put hundreds of rounds through it without failure to fire. Very easy to hide in a pocket on with an Inside the Waistband holster. Can be field stripped for cleaning using a spent cartridge. I have a number of handguns and prefer to shoot my 1911A1, but for carrying everywhere, the kel tec is the way to go. The only concern I would have is that users have reported jams from "limp wristing". You have to maintain a good strong grip on these small guns. Like any other gun, practice with one before relying on it to save your life. At 25 ft, the pf 9 will consistantly shoot all 8 rounds in a five inch circle, even with my old eyes. Obviously, it is not designed to be used at great distances, but as a close up gun for self defense.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

I just bought the Wife an Elsie Arr(LCR) for her to use as a carry weapon. Must say it is a very nice Pistol.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #7

I finally just put 100 rounds through my PF9 (Winchester 115gr value ammo). Had 1 FTF and 2 FTE. The FTF happened on like round. Someone told me to fluff and buff the pistol although I haven't yet.

Both FTE were the last round of the mag. This is my first pistol to own. I like this little gun so far. I recently got a laser for the rail, haven't dialed it in yet.

Right now I carry it in an Uncle Mike's holster...not very good for CC but it'll do until the one from Hume Leather comes in. I've stuck it in my pocket before, no one knows it's there.

Gun control means using both hands

Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck78 View Post
I finally just put 100 rounds through my PF9 (Winchester 115gr value ammo). Had 1 FTF and 2 FTE. The FTF happened on like round. Someone told me to fluff and buff the pistol although I haven't yet.

Both FTE were the last round of the mag. This is my first pistol to own. I like this little gun so far. I recently got a laser for the rail, haven't dialed it in yet.

Right now I carry it in an Uncle Mike's holster...not very good for CC but it'll do until the one from Hume Leather comes in. I've stuck it in my pocket before, no one knows it's there.
Wow, I would never carry a gun with a 3% failure rate.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #9

KelTec said I need at least 200 rounds to break it in. I've put another 105 through it since that last post and didn't have a single issue. Both of the issues I did have occurred in the first 35 rounds through the gun. It looks like I never added that to my post.

"The FTF happened on like round." --> lol

I've used both the Winchester Value ammo and the 147gr Winchester PDX1 ever since that 7th mag (175 rounds) and have had no issues. After that 7th mag I cleaned the gun while I was at the range and continued on. I have a feeling that those first problems stemmed from it being out of the box. I never cleaned it after I bought it. I just loaded it up and fired some rounds though it.

Gun control means using both hands

Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im a avid user of the kel tec p11 whitch of course is the doubles stack version of the pf-9. I think the wider grip fits my large hands and my body better then the pf-9 and yes ive shot both....

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix