Kel-Tec P11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Kel-Tec P11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kel-Tec P11

Does anyone have expereince with a Kel-Tec P11? A guy I know from the range purchased one for casual carry and doesn't like it so he wants to sell or trade it. It's pretty much new as he's only had it for a month and been at the range twice with it. He hit me up and asked if I wanted to trade for my S&W M&P 9mm compact. I told him that the S&W was worth double the Kel-Tec. He's offering to sell it for $275 with two 12 round mags. I haven't shot it but have held it and it seems it would be a fair pocket gun. So what's your opinion of Kel-Tec as a whole and if you have owned or shot a P11 what do you think of it?

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Does anyone have expereince with a Kel-Tec P11? A guy I know from the range purchased one for casual carry and doesn't like it so he wants to sell or trade it. It's pretty much new as he's only had it for a month and been at the range twice with it. He hit me up and asked if I wanted to trade for my S&W M&P 9mm compact. I told him that the S&W was worth double the Kel-Tec. He's offering to sell it for $275 with two 12 round mags. I haven't shot it but have held it and it seems it would be a fair pocket gun. So what's your opinion of Kel-Tec as a whole and if you have owned or shot a P11 what do you think of it?

Thanks in advance.
"RUN WDB, RUN AWAY"! I have owned a P11, as well as the M&P9c and the Kel-tec PF-9 too. The PF-9 uses the same trigger system as the Kel-tec 380 and the trigger is ok..the P11 uses a different system and is AWFUL! The pull is over a mile long and gets harder as it goes...Neither of the Kel-tec's are in the same class as the M&P...The difference in the two guns far exceeds the difference in the cost of the two guns. Every comparison you can make between the 2 will result in the same answer. The M&P is by far the better gun...you may or may not like the M&P, but it still is the better gun. The P11 is not even close.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000F View Post
"RUN WDB, RUN AWAY"! I have owned a P11, as well as the M&P9c and the Kel-tec PF-9 too. The PF-9 uses the same trigger system as the Kel-tec 380 and the trigger is ok..the P11 uses a different system and is AWFUL! The pull is over a mile long and gets harder as it goes...Neither of the Kel-tec's are in the same class as the M&P...The difference in the two guns far exceeds the difference in the cost of the two guns. Every comparison you can make between the 2 will result in the same answer. The M&P is by far the better gun...you may or may not like the M&P, but it still is the better gun. The P11 is not even close.
8000f,
Not going to give up my M&P's (I own two a 45 and a 9mm), they are my best friends! I didn't expect the Keltec to be in the same class. Thought it might be an easy casual carry, the trigger is graduated so you don't shoot yourself and something I'm fine with. All the same I paid more than $500 for each of my M&P's the questions is for $275 is the Keltec a reasonable pocket gun?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
8000f,
Not going to give up my M&P's (I own two a 45 and a 9mm), they are my best friends! I didn't expect the Keltec to be in the same class. Thought it might be an easy casual carry, the trigger is graduated so you don't shoot yourself and something I'm fine with. All the same I paid more than $500 for each of my M&P's the questions is for $275 is the Keltec a reasonable pocket gun?
Ok, we will go at this through dollars and sense...

Dealer wholesale is $209. They sold in our store for $299. Those are numbers for a NEW P11. You should be paying about $200 for the used P11 and as new ones come with a single 10 round mag, you can allow him a little more for the extra mag. Unless it has not been fired, you should be paying no more than about $225...Anything more than that reflects just how much you want it rather than what it's worth.. Personally, I would get a PF-9 over the P11. Much thinner, just as pocketable, better trigger..But that's just my .02. New, they should sell for about $309

Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Ok, we will go at this through dollars and sense...

Dealer wholesale is $209. They sold in our store for $299. Those are numbers for a NEW P11. You should be paying about $200 for the used P11 and as new ones come with a single 10 round mag, you can allow him a little more for the extra mag. Unless it has not been fired, you should be paying no more than about $225...Anything more than that reflects just how much you want it rather than what it's worth.. Personally, I would get a PF-9 over the P11. Much thinner, just as pocketable, better trigger..But that's just my .02. New, they should sell for about $309
Good info 8000 and thank you. The price I expect is nego is it a pistol you have shot? Is it dependable, something you would carry? I don't need another pistol in the locker that I won't carry!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Good info 8000 and thank you. The price I expect is nego is it a pistol you have shot? Is it dependable, something you would carry? I don't need another pistol in the locker that I won't carry!
Yes, I have owned, carried and shot one. It carries and shoots good. It is not a gun you can just shoot and shoot all the time...Compared to a lot of guns, it would have a shorter service life...It does in fact have a lifetime warranty and they have very good customer service. I tend to think of Kel-tec's as something to carry a lot and shoot a little..

There are better, more expensive choices, but as long as you understand the limitations of the Kel-tec, it would be fine. I gave mine a test run of 50 rounds of my carry ammo, cleaned it, and never shot it again as long as I owned it...I considered it a trade bead for down the road and soon it was traded off.

On the other hand, you could take a $525 Glock G26, and shoot 50,000 rounds through it and it would just be broke in good...

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I have owned, carried and shot one. It carries and shoots good. It is not a gun you can just shoot and shoot all the time...Compared to a lot of guns, it would have a shorter service life...It does in fact have a lifetime warranty and they have very good customer service. I tend to think of Kel-tec's as something to carry a lot and shoot a little..

There are better, more expensive choices, but as long as you understand the limitations of the Kel-tec, it would be fine. I gave mine a test run of 50 rounds of my carry ammo, cleaned it, and never shot it again as long as I owned it...I considered it a trade bead for down the road and soon it was traded off.

On the other hand, you could take a $525 Glock G26, and shoot 50,000 rounds through it and it would just be broke in good...

Hope this helps.
It is good info and I fully understand as I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time and when the weather warms I carry S&W M&P 9mm compact. Just considering a pocket pistol and this one seem to fit the bill. Not a Glock fan and they don't offer a pistol this slim/small either.

Any suggestions of a pistol this size better than Kel-Tec?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #8

Quote:
It is good info and I fully understand as I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time and when the weather warms I carry S&W M&P 9mm compact. Just considering a pocket pistol and this one seem to fit the bill. Not a Glock fan and they don't offer a pistol this slim/small either.

Any suggestions of a pistol this size better than Kel-Tec?
The only other guns in your required specs are the Walther PPS & Kahr P9...I would not take a Kahr as a gift..I really tried to like that gun due to size and etc, we stocked in our store and finally sent all of them back to Kahr Arms as too many problems...Some will work fine, but you can't tell until you shoot 200 trouble free rounds through it..I bought 3 K40 Khar's in one night after work. 1st did not work, we replaced it with a 2nd gun, it would not feed ball and replaced it with number 3. When it didn't work, I gave up and got a S&W 642 revolver...
The PPS is very close in size to the PF-9. It is still relatively new to market, having been out little over a year and had several issues. It is still a good design and I want one, but I will wait for another 6 months or so and hopefully the chances of a trouble free gun will be better. Like the Kahr guns, there are some that are trouble free and some are not. Problem is you can't just look at it and tell which it is...

I've carried 24/7/365 for almost 4 decades and have always been looking for the PERFECT gun...It does not exist. Everything is compromise of either size or weight, caliber or price, or something...

For the money, the PF-9 is probably the best current choice, given price and size. When the bugs are gone from the PPS, that will be my choice..And that time is getting closer, fewer and fewer are having issues...but, they run about $679 and mags are priced out of this world...

Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

8000F while money is always a consideration you can see by my current carry choices depenability is foremost. I'm pretty happy with my M&P"s but would like to have a pocket gun for when I'm too lazy to carry one in a holster. At best it is an idel thought I think $679 is a lot to spend on a PPS so I'll be happy with my M&P's for now. Still might make a $200 offer on the Kel-Tec next time I see the guy at the range as I think it's worth that and could be a good lazy carry pistol.

Still looking for that pefect pistol, my excuse for owning so many. Several are just about prefect but there is always something that could be better. I don't know if you have shot or handled a S&W M&P but it's as close as I have found considering size, weight, capacity, caliber, dependability and ease of use. Price is mid price range but the best money I've spent. I have safe queen Kimber that I enjoy but don't carry due to weight and capacity. The good news is there are a lot of pistols to choose from

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I took a pass on the Kel-Tec either not a lot of them in use or people don't want to share there input with the pistol. I had hoped for more input